Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Where did the $$$$ go?

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by FramerT, Mar 8, 2004.

1. FramerT

FramerT Ace

The factory owners[Speer etc.],scientists who made money from the Reich.Was their money worthless after the surrender?Swiss bank accounts?They could'nt have all moved to the United Nations' side after the war.Any thoughts?? [​IMG]

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Some was transported to South America by BormannĀ“s order, some to Switzerland. As well I think quite alot of the treasures (especially paintings etc ) were found in the mountains hideouts late in the war.

I guess there are still many places in the Central Europe where supposedly money and jewel boxes were dropped in the lakes.

3. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Was any of that used to pay for the war debts after the fact? It was just lying around as a type of "plunder", it seems someone would think to use it as war booty. :confused:

4. FramerT

FramerT Ace

I was thinking[wondering]mostly of individual's money and not paintings and such.Example: say John Doe ran a small munitions company making ammo for the cause.Between the allies bombing and the Russians shelling Berlin,etc. most likely the banks were leveled.And with the Russians occupying half of Berlin afterwards,Communism meant everything was state property?Right??To make long story short,anyone think store owners made any money off the war? :confused: