Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Where would YOU serve in WW2?

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 13, 2002.

1. bismark1

bismark1 recruit

i would have served in the 21st Panzer Division

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

When I first read this, I though you said that because of your gender, you could not be in a position to make a difference and I was going to call you on it by directing you to this post by me in the other forum in Otto's empire. I reread your post and realized my error in understanding but decided to post Mrs. Gaylord's story here anyway. She was a woman in a man's army, but she made a difference, at least into those lives that she was thrust.

Oh yeah, and by the way, we wouldn't want any stinking Saskatchewaner (is that the word? Or is it Saskatchewiener?) in the US Army.:D

3. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Thanks for sharing her story. It's because of people like her that I included Combat medical role.

It's Saskatchewanian....to make it more tongue-twisting its a Saskatonian (from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan)! ;) US would have been my 3rd choice after following the armed forces in which my parents served WW2 - only the Allies for me, but if I wouldn't be wanted (no smiley for scuffing toe in the dirt and sighing!!):D

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

So, if you are from some podunk town way out in the backwoods of Saskatchewan, you are a Saskatchewanian, but if you are from Saskatoon, then you are a Saskatonian Saskatchewanian?

I live in Elmore County. We call ourselves Elmorons.

5. arneken

arneken Member

hmmm let's see. I live in Wevelgem. There's a pilotschool sinds the 1920. So I see a lot of Airplanes passing by in my youth. I rectruit and gain my diplom. So if ww2 brakes out. I'll try to defend my country as best as possible with my Fairey Fox. but I'm been overrun by stuka's and messerschmidts.
    I flee to England. Join after a few months the RAF. trained to fly spitfires I can finalle engage the enemy in 1942. I crash, after been shot down, in 1944 trying to free my country.

that would be about it.

6. von Hiltz

von Hiltz Member

As per the Nostalga of the German War Machine I would be a Panzer Kommandant in the 9. Waffen SS Panzerdivision fighting in Tarnapol prior to D-Day then back to the western front where we fought at Caen then Hill 112 before holding open Falaise Pocket saving countless Heer soldaten from sure death or capture. Our most notable success was in the defence of Arnhem from 1st British Para during Op. Market Garden.

But if I stick to my heritage I would choose to be a gunner on the Canadian Tribal Class Destroyer the HMCS Haida. A proud ship which is the only Tribal Class Destroyer left in the world I hear, and parked only a few kilometers from my home.

[​IMG]

7. chiefgeorge

chiefgeorge Member

I served on 2 ww2 era destroyers and the second one (USS Preston DD795) was built in 1943 to replace the one sunk earlier. It had 2 3in guns, but not enough people to man both guns. So when the ship turned, the gun crew would run over and man the other gun. Not enough armor or big enough guns for me. The engines and guns worked, but not much else. Circa 1968. 25 years is pretty good for a ship not expected to last more than a few months, at best.

8. GrossBorn

GrossBorn Member

If I was lucky enough to not be on the front line, I would like to be assigned to an Intelligence outfit and create maps from aerial photos, etc.

If I had to be out front, put me in a German Tiger tank on the eastern front. They may be hot in summer and cold in winter, but I like the idea of that armor shield between me and Russian bullets. Plus, I'd like to match my "tanking" skills against some T-34s.

9. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Hmmm. . . I have three choices. It depends really on my mood.

For daring, I'd go for airborne, either 101st or 82nd.

When I feel for the underdog and lost causes, I'd go for the Philippine Scouts during the Japanese attack on the Philippines.

To fulfill a childhood fantasy, VMF-214. I miss that old TV show.

10. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Easy. A Navy Corpsman serving with the Marines. Doesn't matter where, just want to save lives.

11. tikilal

tikilal Ace

I would have been in a bakery in Switzerland. I could have been making cookies by the bakers dozen through the whole war.:D

Sloniksp likes this.
  12. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:rofl:

tikilal likes this.
  13. Spitfire King

Spitfire King Member

(Being pure fantasy and taking for granted I survive, rather than meeting a grisly fate it would be thus)
    1938 after graduating from flightschool through my college in England, I would join the RAF as a sprog pilot, to be thrust into the Battle of Britain, joining the other 14 Australian pilots serving in the RAF. Being assigned to the Spitfire, I would take my mark1 and throw it about the sky shooting down 2 Bf109's over the course of the battle, returning on occasion with my tail shot up and a few nasty scares, but getting through. Directly after, I would be assigned to 452 squadron on the Isle of mann serving under Bluey Truscott, in his flight. More action chasing raiders, resulting in the shooting down of a Ju88 and a partial with a combined attack between myself and bluey. Due to an internal glycol leak I had to bail out in to the freezing waters and was picked up by a Sunderland. (brrr) After getting back, I was told to report to an embarkation depot and was sent with a contingent to the island of malta, to face the fury of the luftwaffe attacking the island, staying on the most bombed place on earth. Serving with Paul Brennan anothe Australian Spitfire Ace I finall became one too, reaching my 5 confirmed over the azure waters.
    After serving there for a number of years and becomng an old man at age 23, and reaching flight liuetenant, I was chosen along with a draft of Australian Spitfire Pilots to return to OZ and form a fighter wing to protect Darwin from the Japanese airraids (of which there were 64 in total historically). I spend the rest of the war living in a tent in the tropics chasing betty bombers and flying boats, then island hopping because the US want to mop up the japs, and I'm relegated to ground attack with the Spit MKVIII. I wind up bitter and jaded for not being used effectively due to U.S high command :D lol

14. tomb raider

tomb raider recruit

Nice!

15. Fallschirmjaeger

Fallschirmjaeger Member

My dream would be to serve the 501st of the 101st Airborne Division. Maybe be a pathfinder. Cool, but really scary job.

16. Fallschirmjaeger

Fallschirmjaeger Member

Man, now that's the perfect job! :lol:

17. tinmanl19

tinmanl19 Member

A bartender in an officers club in England.

18. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

I love it when people make sense.

19. Joe

Joe Ace

20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

A little out of date LOL. But would sure be a hit with the Chicks! LOL ;)