Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Where would YOU serve in WW2?

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 13, 2002.

1. dusky

dusky Member

I've been skydiving multiple times... And before you say "while getting shot at?" I'd like to point out I chose the two safest drop zones (in terms of AA fire) in the entire war :D

2. kuuk

kuuk Member

I would have liked to serve in the 82nd Airborne so that I could have liberated my hometown in NL, or in the Black Watch so I could have done it the second time.
    BTW, the Americans and the Canadians had the best food in WWII and the soldiers were the most generous to us kids.

3. billswagger

billswagger Member

I would serve in whatever regiment that allowed me to get into the cockpit of a fighter plane. Preferably, a p-47, but i'd fly p-40s or 51s any chance i could get.

Bill

4. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

I've heard that from a few differemt sources. Good to hear. Nothing cigarettes and chocalate couldn't do for you during that time, eh?

5. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Still though the invasion of Crete cost the German paratroops quite highly don't you know?

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've been reading through a lot of these posting since I last commented. Based on my most recent reading and recollections of my father's experiences, I'd have to agree with A-58. Many of those who posted (like me), probably have little first hand knowledge of combat. I guess if I had lived during the war, I would have felt compelled to join up (as my father did after trying to avoid it for a while). Looking backward, it is easy to say "I would have served in this or that unit." Obviously, you don't get much choice other than branch of service, maybe. I have great respect for those who willingly choose to go in harm's way, I'm just not sure that I could do it. Many of the vets who served with my father didn't talk much about their service, except among themselves. I don't kid myself, I think I'm too afraid to have served.

A-58 likes this.
  7. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

yes Dusky, Totenkopf is right, the german paratroopers suffered terrible losses taking Crete ......AA fire might not have been a major problem.....but many sticks (groups of paratroopers) went into the sea (blown / miss drops) and drowned, also they droped without out their main weapons, as these were in canisters - which they had to find and open - while under fire from the british.

(because of Crete, Hitler disliked the idea of paratroopers and hence never used large scale drops again - using the Fallschrimjager as conventional infantry for the rest of the war.)

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

IIRC most of the losses were not from AA fire and Im sure that dusky would not be thrilled with the reception that some of the Falschirmjaeger recieved fron the Creten civilians.

9. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

What do you mean?? Only half of them (roughly) were wiped out...

Cheers...

10. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Hey Miguel.......read two posts above ;) ......also " (roughly) 50% wiped out " ......is still a LOT of men, don't you think?

AndyPants

11. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

It was meant as a jest... It lacks a :rolleyes: smilie... :( my bad. I'll go and sit in my little corner now...

Cheers...

12. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Yeah the whole operation and post-op was laden with snags the gave OKW a even bigger migraine then they already had.

13. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

ah, that makes more sence ;) .......you can come out :)

14. dusky

dusky Member

Oi jeeze... I'll stay in Arnhem then

15. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

LoL, cause that turned out to be a safer place for the paratroopers:D

16. dusky

dusky Member

Yea, but I'm pretty sure the British paratroopers made it out okay more so than the army members

17. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

You area aware that the British Paratroopers in Arnhem got cut off from the front lines, and were completely surrounded followed by a large battle which ended with the paratroopers surrendering, Right?

18. Joe

Joe Ace

Dusky, 2000 men got out of Arnhem. 8000 went in.

19. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

All the Parachute battalions Within THE PARACHUTE REGIMENT were part of the British army;)

20. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Serving as a US, British, or German paratrooper in WW2 is asking for an likely death or injury- these formations all suffered extreme casualties in WW2.

The Rangers were defeated cut to pieces in Italy by the German forces there (captured and paraded around Rome with 2 ranger battalions destroyed) and most of the Ranger unit that mounted Point Du Hoc got killed or injured.