Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Where would YOU serve in WW2?

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 13, 2002.

1. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

It's really crowdy specially your russian tanks!!
    Also The 30 Seconds reloading time of IS-2!!! And the huge shell 122mm of it!!:( But the massive effect of it is unmatched!!:D

Anyway I guess you would either to serve in IL-2 Illusionist !! Right??:confused:

To dive in &hunt down those poor Panzers &Tigers!!:D

2. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Did IS-3 Served in WW2??

3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Came a bit too late. ;)

4. mister_rubber_dickie

mister_rubber_dickie Member

Can I have two? Hehehe.

1. I would like to be a colleague of Major Richard Winters of the 101st Airborne.

2. I would like to serve with the USAFFE, join the guerillas, and be instrumental in the liberation of the Philippines from the damned Japs!

How I wish the "Battle for Manila" was avoided so that many lives were spared and many rapes were not committed. And the atomic bombs were dropped a couple of years earlier. :(

5. Cobber

Cobber Member

With Aussie Inft during the fighting in all parts of the world.
    Africa corps but not in tanks
    Mustang aircraft in Europe
    HMAS Australia a Heavy Cruiser who was present at most fighting during the island hoping program in Sth West Pacific.
    Commando operations esp the stay behind type and ALSO TO hit Japanese LOC that Australia Raised

6. Karma

Karma Member

Whew, finally done reading this entire thread. Took me a whole day haha. As my first post on this forum, I'd thought this would be the most appropriate thread.

I may not particularly enjoy serving, but should I be obliged to serve back then, I would choose to be in service of the Japanese Empire in one of these roles.

1. An A6M Zero fighter pilot flying from Rabaul in the South Pacific.
    2. A naval attaché to Admiral Yamamoto aboard his flagship the Yamato.
    3. An army officer serving under General Yamashita during the fall of Malaysia and Singapore. Also in the Philippines fighting in Corregidor and Bataan.
    4. Or finally serving with my great grandfather in Manchuria with the Kwangtung Army.

7. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

August 45', was a very turbulent time for the Japanese forces in Manchuria. Did your grandfather survive?

8. surfersami

surfersami Member

I would have liked the Cuba option as I am also weiner. Although, I could have been an officer in charge of a WASP unit in the States moving aircraft to the imbacation sights!

9. Karma

Karma Member

Yes thankfully my great-grandfather did survive. Because most of the crack units and heavy equipment and weapons were deployed to the Pacific, by the time the Soviets invaded, the situation of the Japanese forces were in terrible shape and was just a shadow of its former self. My grandfather, who I got the info from, only knows a bit about what happened as my great-grandfather did not speak much about his escape, but from what I could piece together, my great-grandfather was stationed in Manchuria when the Soviets came. Soviet units were mechanized and very mobile compared to the Japanese who were mostly on foot, so they were often bypassed by the leading enemy vanguards. My great-grandfather along with his unit were not one of these surrounded units and managed to keep ahead of the advancing Soviets. I'm not sure as to how he managed to make it back to the home islands, most likely I'm guessing he mingled in with civilians and got back on one of the ships loaded with refugees.

I was talking with a colleague of mine and I learned that his great-grandfather was serving in Karafuto (Sakhalin) when the Soviets came and ended up in Siberia and didn't come back. Gladly my great-grandfather didn't end up this way, but because of what he had witnessed in Manchuria, even now there's a great deal of hatred towards the Russians running in the older generations within my family. Nonetheless that's my great-grandfather's story.

A-58 and Sloniksp like this.
  10. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

Id want to be a german soldier or russian soldier during the battle of berlin.

11. surfersami

surfersami Member

I actually met a guy who was a liason to the USO. He ferried famous movie stars to different places getting them ready to go overseas on tours. He has pictures of himself with all the pin-up girls and famous actors. He says he used to feel guilty, but he got over that when several "GIs" told him he had one of the most important jobs in the Army. They appreciated the visits from the stars!
    That could be a cool way to spend the war!

12. GermanTankEnthusiast

GermanTankEnthusiast Member

id serve as a german soldier in occupied greece

mmmm nice and warm.

13. David Cohen

David Cohen Member

I would be either a pilot if any of the following in the ETO:
    P-51
    B-17 (if not pilot then gunner or bombardier)
    B-25 (same with the B-17)
    P-38
    Along the lines of the ETO, I would be in one of the infantry or armored divisions. Knowing my luck I would come across my grandfather and create a temporal paradox (what I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I think about time-travel and temporal paradoxes)
    If I wasn't in the military, I would be one of the Jewish resistance fighters, just like my uncle did. Interesting story about him. My family was in a Holocaust Museum in St. Petersberg FL and there was this photo of a resistance group that they got anonymously with no names on it. I looked at it and thought "I have a feeling that my mom is going to call me back to this photo" and sure enough, she called me back and she had the curator of the place there. She told me to take off my glasses and said from the eyes up, look at my son and look at this person in the photo. We believe that the person in the photo is my uncle but the strange thing is we don't know how a photo of him ended up in Florida when that entire side of the family is in Israel or New Jersey and New York. Weird isn't?

14. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Auch hübsche Frauen!! (Hot Ladies!!);)

15. Brom

Brom Member

Hiya folks, just joined after lurking a while and this seemed an appropriate place for my first post. :)

Well, my Grandfather ended up going back and forth across Burma... All the stories he told me....I don't fancy that, too many snakes/leeches,mozzies and Japs. Given the choice I think I'd go for a spot on a nice destroyer in the Med, Flying a Spit from the Home Counties or, if I must get in the mud, then Paras would be my choice (with the chance to try out for the brand new 22nd reg in the desert).

16. Fox2

Fox2 Member

Luftwaffe ME-262 pilot, or one of the Outdoors men used to assist the US in the recapture of Aleutians.

17. 107thcav

107thcav Member

107th ohio national guard cavalry. A good ol' fashioned horse cav with sabers, side arms. Pistol competitions in Camp Perry. Riding competitions in Kentucky and Indiana. Tending to horses and enjoying the life of a trooper. Before unleashing hell throughout europe. CHARGE!!!!

18. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

I do believe that war service as a NAAFI tea-lady would be preferrable to almost anything else....in fact, Spike Milligan had a plan to end the war in a single master-stroke by dropping a special unit of NAAFI tea-ladies onto "Wolfslair"...In no time the hun would be broken! (Now!now!...I'm not having all those jackboots on my polished floors! Never mind about silly old Stalingrad, you put your feet up, and I'll make you a nice cuppa' tea, and a cheese roll for Mr Goering!)

19. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

I guess it would be great if I served in Spitfire (The one with 2 x 40mm Bofors!:D)

20. IR61

IR61 recruit

First choise: The mighty Afrika Korps under the brilliant Rommel!

Second Choise: The Finnish Air Force

Third Choise: 101 st. Airborne regiment