Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which is better?

Discussion in 'Call of Duty' started by Paulverisor64, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I've resisted buying COD MWII because of different multiple player reasons which I have read about.

I'd appreciate hearing from people who play both MWII and WAW as to which game plays the best and for what reason.

Every FPS requires quick reflexes to play well. After a 6 month break I have started playing WAW again. I am discovering that even though I have a quick connection speed and quick computer that I am losing the battle of lag. I have adjusted console commands to try to wipe out lag without great success. (Presently my MAXFPS is set at 100 and my MAXPACKETS is set at 50, I have experimented) I can see clearly that the contact time with the enemy favors the enemy on the Kill Cam. I can also see this in how I have to hit the button a couple times to place a Betty.

Can you observe a difference in lag between WAW and MWII? I read somewhere that the PC is not very configurable in regards to adjusting settings. Does this keep the hackers away?

The amount of players on a map has decreased with MWII, yet there are new features such as the Predator drone and AC-130 Gunship. Is this a lot like WAW where you often die the instant you spawn in?

Are you just about played out on the MWII game or is it something you would like to keep going with? I'm just about played out on the WAW game. A humorous gamer tag on another player just about sums it up; "WhyDoIKeepTrying".

2. Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig Dishonorably Discharged

I'm not into run-in-gun shooters, made for console frag fest fans, but I couldn't recommend that game to any PC user. Why? It doesn't come with dedicated server support. This means you have to host the server on your own computer, which means everyone gets a crappy, lag fueled game.

There are a lot more WW2 games that are much more realistic and uses team work with a great community to spend your money on.

3. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

You are not a fan of the MW2 because it does not have dedicated servers. This does sound like an awful burden to place on one person's PC. I'm wanting to get away from the lag I am seeing in WAW, that sound's quite unlikely. That alone is enough to keep me from getting MW2.

I believe you also are not a fan of WAW because it doesn't encourage teamwork. In most cases I agree with you %100. However when people played Search and Destroy I saw quite a bit of evidence of team play. When I shot could eliminate you from a round you would find that the team that worked best together would typically win.

In what ways have you seen other games do better in the area of teamwork? I personally have only seen one game which I would consider that promoted teamwork extremely well, that was Battlefield 2.
    1) There was voice communication strictly within a squad, and the squad leader only had voice communication with the commander.
    2) Spawn ins would take you back to the original spawn point unless you were in a squad; that would spawn you in where your squad leader is. Not really realistic, but absolutely encouraged teamwork.
    3) The size of map alone encouraged sticking together and communicating.

Call of Duty WAW does have a squad option but there doesn't appear to be much incentive for communicating.

4. Hans Ludwig

The Project Reality, BF2 Mod, does teamwork very well. It's designed to be as realistic ass possible on the BF2 engine. Because of this, there is no bunny hopping, minimal run-in-gun, I'm the l33test player to ever exist, type of game play.

Just about every game I list on here is realistic and very team work centered.

Project Reality : Battlefield 2 Mod BF2 Mod
    Welcome to Resistance and Liberation - Home HL2 WWII Mod
    Darkest Hour: Europe '44-'45 RO WW2 mod

5. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

Rumor has it that the gentleman preventing dedicated servers at Infinity Ward for MW2 just got fired. There could be dedicated servers soon with this game.

6. Hans Ludwig

Hmmm, very interesting if this turns out to be true.

7. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

MW2 is fun to play due to the quick action and small maps. Just like with every recent version of COD, there are certain aspects of gameplay that I do not like. For starters, I am not a big fan of 'trophies' and perks etc. I liked COD better when the weapons you got depended on the country and class you picked in game. (Germans had K98's, Russians had Moisins, etc). Perks and Custom Classes in MW2 only serve to make things unequal in regards to combat, and even more unrealistic.

I greatly GREATLY dislike STEAM and everything associated with it, but the trend seems to be more STEAM related games then anything these days. I dislike this greatly -requires internet access to activate the game, auto patches (which screwed my game up), cuts usernames in half when in game, etc.

There is lag, but there will always be lag when the internet is involved. It generally isn't horrendous, but I dislike the lack of dedicated servers and server-mods (my favorite COD2 server was a Rifles Only server) that enhanced the gameplay and made little communitiese. Now, unless you create a group with some friends before 'Finding a Game', you get thrown together with a bunch of retards, misfits, and immature kids. Several times there have been people abusing the Voice Chat-ingame (with words I can not repeat here) and it makes you want to leave. Extremely annoying etc.

8. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

Along with the rumor that I mentioned above; there would be a patch that would allow playing on dedicated servers with MW2. I have googled but haven't found anything.

I have also heard rumors about the game matching giving you games with total jerks. This is another great reason for not playing MW2.

I did enjoy the days where we played COD WAW S&D on the Egg server. It was a fun crowd and the gameplay was somewhat team oriented.

I will be honest that I do enjoy incentives to keep me reaching for the next rank. I like mixing and matching the perks and weapons. There is very little reminding one of real combat within this game yet it is fun in it's own merits.

I would like to get more involved in a game which looks and feels like real combat in the WWII era, without a lot of game glitches and bugs.

9. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

As far as the console versions of the games MW2 blows WAW away. Campers, glitchers, newb toobers and lag switchers make things less entertaining; but, what are you gonna do.

10. Hans Ludwig

Buy a PC and play Arma2. What other game can you buy that keeps on giving? i.e. mods and scripts.

11. Anderan

Anderan Member

actually, it is possible to get dedicated servers on MW2 now, someone hacked it and added support for them, they also added leaning back into the game.

12. Joe

Joe Ace

I personally think MW2 is the best game ever.
    I really love all the create a class etc, I like the sense of achievement you get by leveling up. One reason I do not like the old games is there seems to be a lack of an actual reason to play other than just playing for fun.
    I also have no problem with the lack of dedicated servers.
    The customiseable killstreask are immense. Currently I have a Predator missile, Pave Low and AC-130 support.
    My only complaint is the overpowered shotguns (dual lever action shotguns that have a longer range than an assault rifle) and the small amount of maps.

13. coloradocowboy

coloradocowboy Member

i agree. its hard to beat

14. Hans Ludwig

The only way you can get dedicated servers is if the company spends the time designing that piece of software. What I think you read was someone using a dedicated box to run a game so you don't have to p2p host it on a weak connection. Since there is no server files, it's next to impossible to even create a program to run admin.

I know all of this since I'm on the Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising forums. And we have the same exact problem: game developers giving us games with no dedicated server, little to know support and not SDK so we can mod in lean and other toys into the game.