Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which Tank would you command?

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by dazzerjeep, Nov 19, 2010.

1. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Out of all the tanks in WW2 which would you personally like to be in charge of?

I would like to command the jagdpanther as this was one of the most feared vehicles of WW2. It mounted ( as we all know the same gun as the Tiger 2) the 88mm gun and could destroy any tank in WW2 at a very good range due to the velocity of the shell. Good cross country abillity and good armour. I know this vehicle is classed as a tank hunter but its still a tank in my book :)

sniper1946 likes this.
  2. Nicnac

Nicnac Member

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Sloniksp likes this.
  4. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Nicnac like the choice :)

5. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Matin Bull now were talking ;) although many drawbacks :)

6. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

Panther Tank all the way ! ;).

A powerful gun,
    Powerful Engine ( the same as the tiger I read ), Good speed,
    Good armor,
    Minor Technical Failures

and its so sexy too!

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

M-26 Pershing very good tank and it comes with air superiority, superb artillery, outstanding logistical support and good combined arms doctrine.

Triple C likes this.
  8. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Most comfortable ww2 tank commanders seat I ever sat in was the arse hammock on a Somua 35, but to be fair that was at rest not on the move - but definitely not a tank to fight in. Personal choice for tank to command - RAM1, AC1 or M2. but that's not about fighting from one - in that case a Churchill VII or a Comet :)

9. JBark

JBark Member

I'd go for the best tank of the war, the Sherman. Works when you need it to work, good balance of gun, armor and powerplant. The Sherman does not need extensive maintenance and when a problem is found with it it is remedied.

Do I get points for picking a tank and not a tank destroyer?

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Considering the years in service during WW2 I think Tiger tank showed its efficency and the crews were happy to be in one. So Tiger it is.

11. BoltActionSupremacy

BoltActionSupremacy Member

Well, personally i would go for the T34/85.

T34 chassis + powerplant and was therefore reliable. Larger 85mm AA gun mounted in a modified KV85 (i think that was the model) turret.

T34 with a gun that could knock out Tigers, whats not to like? :p

12. JBark

JBark Member

Course you could go with the Sherman, get the same penetration ability in your gun, have a very reliable tank, good optics and visibility and controls you could read!

13. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I'd probably go with an M-26 Pershing - good gun, speed and mobility. One of the so called "Super Pershings" with a 90mm L73 gun would be even better. A close second is a Tiger II, but it gets marked down for its reliability and mobility.

If I had to pick a medium tank, It would be an HVSS Sherman with a 76mm gun.

14. Black6

Black6 Member

How about the Maus? You'd only have to drive it in trials when it wasn't broken down and then your only real responsibility is to blow it up before the Soviets arrive. Sounds like a good low risk job description to me.

Otherwise the M26 sounds good to me.

15. green slime

green slime Member

Maus, or Ratte.

16. Proeliator

Proeliator Member

Pzkpfw.V Panther

However if provided with a skilled crew, proper maintenance and enough fuel then the Tiger Ausf.B; Offers the best firepower & protection of any AFV available in the period, plus good tactical mobility too boot, all good virtues to stear towards when you hold your life dear.

17. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

better the M2 or the AC then - no risk of strafing or soviets chasing you :) you could also add almost any prototype to that list.
    Disadvantage of being a Maus/Ratte crewman is your own people will notice if you just up and run because there's not many of them, and if you don't - everyone and his anti-tank dog will be after you quite apart from the aircraft. bad survival choice - like being on the Bismark but worse.

18. belasar

belasar Court Jester

The Pershing, you only have a few months of combat, and all the advantages of being on the the winning side!

19. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

The best tank must be chosen base on Fire power,speed,maneuverability,reliablity,and protection...........Hands down the Soviet t-34 but just to be a reckless kid i chose kingtiger...............

20. Triple C

Triple C Ace

I do not like dying or being maimed. Serving a T-34, a Panther or even a Sherman made it more likely for me to be killed or maimed. I would pick the Pershing. It was a good tank that only arrived the battlefield after the Panzerwaffe was virtually gone. This minimizes my chances of being killed or maimed.