Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which WWII weapons do your guests like to see ?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Martin Bull, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

OK, this is a frivolous thread - which I hope won't lead to an 'our guns were best' or 'how can you collect deactivated weapons?'-type arguments.....

I was just now rearranging my small collection of WWII-era deacts when I fell to thinking about the ones which guests ask to see. Some - Enfield Mk4, Sten, etc - are sometimes fondly handled by men who remember them from their Army days. But those guns don't create fascination.

But the others - there's no contest....

If my guests have just a casual or passing interest in such things -

The 'Tommy Gun' ( in my case, M1A1 ) and the 'Luger' ( P.08 ). Always.

If they're 'into' WWII or are real history buffs -

The MP40 and StG44. Every time.

For the others, only one person ( a Hungarian ) has ever asked to look at my PPSh41. And my beautiful, mint-condition P.38 , or the lovely M1 carbine ? Never.....:(

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I would be the one to ask for the M1 first!

3. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

i gave my bren to one of my mates from the local gypsy camp at thingley.he was kind enough to set me up with a genny,and showed an interest in my bren,so it was a fair swap,nice guy too.cheers.

4. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

My MG is always a good conversation piece.

[​IMG]

Guests are always amazed at how heavy it is; "how the hell did they carry that around all day?" is the usual comment.

My sons Thompson is also a good one for a "my god it's heavy" response...:)

As I have only just got my PPSH41, it is being thrust under any guests nose that shows the remotest interest in WW2 and militaria collecting...;)

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

when guests are "allowed" to see what I possess the smaller version of the Mauser : ~ 1940, Fallshirm G 33/40 seems to get the utmost attention of anything, although the Panzerschreck gets secondary mention as most women haven't got a clue..........isn't that a strange looking flower pedastel

6. Martin Bull

Hmmm...i think that I'd quite like to handle that Panzerschreck...! :cool:

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin

the invitation is wide open for a visit so we can talk shop ~ ........ :D

my small Beholla from Suhr in 7.65mm must be added as well the ladies like to pick it up. "oh it's so cute ! " the thing is much more accurate than my P-38 at the range, though the slide is a bit stiff my wife tells me

Attached Files:

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

the Mg is about 18 kilos right? That is a nice piece indeed.

9. jagdpanther44

Believe me, it feels a lot heavier than 18Kgs and thats not loaded with a 50 round drum mag...:(

10. uksubs

uksubs Member

Think I would like to see your Mk5 sten gun Martin for starters :D

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'd definately ask to see the MP-40 and the STG-44 first. The guns from my tiny collection most often wanted to be seen first is my mint condition-all-matching numbers-Mauser Sniper variant rifle I have-which is a prototype rifle-and VERY scarce in professional collector circles. I have a pic of it that is now on a photo CD-which when I get pics of all my things on CDs-i'll be sending them to one of the Mods here to pos for me--along with most of my WWII photo collection.

When the above happens I will also be posting some info on my Mauser that Dieter Stenger of Stenger Historia-gave to me several years ago-that was about my Rifle. My rifle is not a deact-so it fires live ammo-and you can put up to 20- 25 rounds in it's fixed magazine. This Mauser is a beaut, and the time it will take to have a picture posted here-will be morethan worth the wait ;-))

Also, at the time Dieter Stenger gave me the info about my Mauser-the Author (Law) of Backbone of the Wehrmacht, was still alive. Sadly, he (or so I heard) committed suicide. Anyway, my Mauser is such a rare bird-that there are NO pictures of it anywhere-tha I am told or aware of.

Can you guess how much I paid for this Rifle? You would be surprised at the answer.

Sorry Martin-I didn't mean to burst in and ruin your thread.

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

John

is your MG 42 fireable or has it been stamped out de-act now ? a gorgeous piece I must say, the last one I saw actually were three of them at a local gun show with the forked front mounts as well as a wonderful full on center-line support system, but nothing as clean as yours. they were asking some 5,000 plus US and this was back in the 1980's

I still look around the area for that mysterious and seemingly unapproachable rocket for my PzSchrk

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, I saw a Rocket for your 'Zooka-that was listed on Andre Hueskens site-and this was when I was looking for a few things about 2 weeks ago. I was there last week and saw it still available. Another gent you might want to check with is Karl Kissier-of summer vacation MIl.

14. jagdpanther44

It's de-activated, Erich. The bolt has been chopped and the barrel milled out and welded in place, as per current UK spec.

An inert panzerschrek round... that's something I have never come across...:confused:

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl/John yes they still sell them as corner lamp pieces. Ordering from Germany may be a problem of items in such a condition going through customs.......too many questions. A definate to check further within the States, but from what I have ssen been mostly rusted garbage. something will show up later in my price bracket. What they do of course is drain explosive filler, remove and or plug the fuze section if not remove altogether. In essence the basic components are jerked out and they can sell and ship these since they are now light as a feather

16. Martin Bull

There were at least two to be seen at Beltring last year ; priced well outside my range ; around £200/£300 as I recall.......

17. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Your descriptions are making me drool with envy. If at all possible, I'd want to actually see and touch your WWII collections. Since that's not possible, I now say: "Thank you for sharing your love for your collection in the forum." At least with your efforts, those who don't have a collection can appreciate yours.

18. Martin Bull

This thread made me realize that there's one in my collection which I don't think I've photographed before. So here - even though none of my guests ask to see it ! :rolleyes: - are a couple of quick snapshots of my PPSh41.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's dated 1943 and has Russian lettering, so it isn't a post-war Eastern European one. The finish on it is surprisingly good and all in all, it's a handsome gun. I bought it on impulse at a militaria fair over ten years ago at reasonable cost, and I'm glad I did ! :)

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

guys what is the round capacity in that round drum feed ?

20. Martin Bull

71 rounds of necked 7.62mm.....