Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which WWII weapons do your guests like to see ?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Martin Bull, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin can you pop off the drum and open it for a look-see photo ? am curious how this is set up - spring loaded or ?

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've never looked inside ! :eek: Although I believe it to be a spring-loaded 'snail-type channel inside.

By all accounts, the weapon seems to have been extremely reliable and the high magazine capacity was one factor which made it a sought-after 'prize' among the Wehrmacht - so many captured ones were pressed into use that it was given the official German designation of MP717(r)......

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Well .................. why don't you have a look-see ????? ~

and yes it could clear out a room real fast.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, Drum mags are usually spring-loaded and some also have a turn switch on one side. I had a Mini-14 magazine which had a 150 round capacity. 20++ years ago-these sold for $150.00. I also had one of those 22 cal M-100 Carbines which had two 100 round tube magazines that came w/ it. The mags on all of these were spring-loaded and also had the turn switch on them.

Oh and-that PzSchreck Rocket I saw I THINK on Andres site-had surface rust but was still in excellent condition. I don't remember the asking price on it-but IMO-it was not an outrageous one.

5. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Hope Martin doesn't think I'm pushing in here...;)

Erich, this is the how the inside of a PPSH41 magazine looks
    [​IMG]

And this is how it looks assembled
    [​IMG]

Erich likes this.
  6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl thanks for the feedback-info's

John appreciate taking yours apart, now do wonder how the ammo would of fitted, does it appear to feed upward from counter or clockwards direction ?

7. jagdpanther44

The centre spring tensioner is wound up anti-clockwise and the rounds are then loaded in to the outer and inner channels. Once the lid has been secured, a button is pressed on the rear of the mag, this releases the inner spring and puts tension on the the rounds. When fired, the rounds are emptied from the outer channel first.

Hope that makes sense...;)

8. Martin Bull

Thanks John - I have a philosophy about not taking apart things which I'm not sure I can put back together again ! :eek: Plus the fact it's probably full of Cosmolene which makes such a mess of the furniture......;)

9. jagdpanther44

I have a inquisitive mind which compels me to take things apart in order to learn how they work. It's not always a good thing, especially when springs and bits of metal fly out in all directions...:mad:

As for the Cosmole problem...my mag has non inside so I didn't get in to trouble with my wife over greasy furniture...;)

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Can I see a picture of the US M1 carabine please ?

11. Martin Bull

Well, as Skipper is the only 'guest' who's ever asked to see it - and as he asked so nicely.....:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...with apologies for the poor picture quality - these are very hasty snapshots.....:eek:

It's WWII-vintage, but obviously reworked postwar ( as many of them were ) with the bayonet lug and later, rounded bolt.

But it's nice, again - bought over ten years ago. A very handsome weapon.

12. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

you don't have to apologize. That is indeed a very nice piece.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Always glad to hilfe ;-)) Also, I forgot to mention that that 150 rd mag I had was made of heavy duty clear plastic-and was in the shape of a snail-much like those on Broomhandle Mausers-which I hope to own one of these days ;-D

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice one MArtin. I've had two carbines in my collecting "career" one being an Inland, the other was a Postal Meter. I've been kicking myself silly since I sold both of them many years ago :-(

I forgot to mention that I also had a non-military M-1 carbine-an Iver-Johnson-which had military parts on it-but I don't count that one as a "real" carbine ven though it was fairly accurate and was easy to handle and fired like a dream ;-D

15. Martin Bull

I should have mentioned - the one in the photo is a Postal Meter with an IBM barrel ( I always smile at the 'IBM' barrel.....:) )

16. jagdpanther44

I have a funny feeling that the next weapon to be displayed here, from the Martin Bull armoury, will be that desirable...beautiful...sleek StG 44...;)

ARGH! I want it...:(

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Martin--they are nice indeed. Since I sold both of those rare birds about 20 years ago, I have only seen two Inlands for sale-both were in bad condition and I thought the asking price then-which was $350.00 each-and about 10-12 years ago) was too high-so I passed on them. Lucky I passed on them at the time because the that very weekend-was a gun show in Corpus-and was the one I bought that rare Mauser Sniper I have. So far I haven't owned Carbines made by Sears or Singer---yet ;-))

18. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

I thought i might revive this thread...

Whenever i have guests they usually want to see my Smith And Wesson: Victory Model .38 Special or my M1 Carbine, and if they want to see my M1 Carbine first i tell them to remember how much it weighs, then i hand them the PPSH and they always say "My god, its heavy, how did they ever manage to fight with that?!".

19. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Double post...

20. B-17 Bomber

B-17 Bomber recruit

I'm in love:eek: I love the PPSh41