Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

why is the red star still politicaly correct?

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by majorwoody10, Mar 31, 2006.

1. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i was in southern cali last month and took my 9 yr old son to see the queen mary and soviet sub scorpian.my boy recognized the red star motiff from playing fps game,call of duty.he coveted a small handsome badge in the gift shop ,a red sar surrounded by a gold wreath,i bought it for him.when we reterned home,he wore the badge to school... what would have happined if he wore another old ww2 badge,say ,one also in red ,but with a black swastika in the middle....can u imagine the fuss that would stir up?
    hitler and his cronies are rightly reviled for the millions of innocent people they murdered and the swastika is rightly loathed as a sign of evil.in some countries,i belive it is even illegal to display the crooked cross even on a model of a tiger tank.
    if the nazis motiff is outlawed because of wholesale murder and genocide,why then is not the red banner or the hammer and sickle.? i think the murders commited by mao,stalin and polpot prolly out number those done by mussolini ,hitler and other faciest thugs...has anyone ever tried to the math.i remember wearin a kool avant garde t shirt with maos picture on iit in high school[my mom bought it somewhere],no one ever said a thing about it. i still see lots of pics of che and lenin on stuff,ironic huh....we know the red banner is ahead of the black cross in the graves dept,but by how much ,twice ,three times?...i wonder.

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Indeed, both Mao and Stalin have more deaths on their conscience than Hitler. I do not understand why people think the known symbols Communism can still be considered politically correct - portraits of Lenin, Mao, or Che Guevara still sell everywhere. I believe it has to do with the ideal of communism that still appeals to many people, but indeed, the symbols they use are tainted as much as the Swastika.

On the other hand, I did buy me a badge of the Red Army Guard divisions when I was in Berlin, but that was because of respect for the veteran soldiers and their share in defeating Nazi Germany.

3. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i guess your right ,the ideal is appealing but people are blind to history if they ignore the horrors and soul crushing repression of the wokers paradise.the doggedness and sacrifice of the russian and the chinese red armys is truely impressive and by wars end i dont think any force on land could stop either army.

4. lynn1212

lynn1212 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    simple

PC is a liberal idea and most libs are commies at heart so of course they have no problem with either the red star or the hammer & sickle.

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Double standards, probably.

But then, it also revolves on how history is percieved.

Nazi Germany took over 5 years of horrific warfare to bring it down, and all the various acts they committed were discovered. Wartime propaganda portrayed them as evil - their highly racist theories did them no favours.

Communists, who have been an enemy of the Capitailst west for far longer, have never really been engaged in quite such a conflict. More importantly, we have never really completely uncovered exactly what they have been up to with their populations.

The difference in how they treat people seems to be that the Nazis treat certain groups as a problem that must be eradicated, whereas Communists treat all people as worker objects, and any problems anywhere are simply removed.

6. FNG phpbb3

FNG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    History is written by winners, also the stalinist attrocities both before, during and after the war are conveniently swepted under the carpet.

FNG

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: simple

I think there have always been opinions that were frowned upon and discouraged no matter how right they were, and there have always been opinions judged "right" and "correct" in spite of their actual content. This is not a Liberal idea.

Besides, there is a great deal of difference between what is percieved as "liberal" in the US today and what "liberal" is. The United States of America is a Liberal idea.

But these atrocities are known now. They were only held under the carpet for a few decades, after which they were made public and carefully studied. This "coverup" is no reason why the Red Star should still be PC today.

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, it does not have the history of 'evil' that Nazism has.

King Richard I of England is now known to be a war-happy butcher of friend & foe alike, but he is still known and revered as the noble, chivalric warrior-king that the *#@*!ing Victorians made him out to be.

I do occaisionally feel the urge to stop everyone wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt and ask them whether they agree with his politics, and whether they would be equally happy wearing a Mussolini t-shirt. :D
    I never have yet...

9. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Just had a thought; could it be simply because there are several countries - and many more political parties - that are still Communist, and therefore the Red Star is still 'current' - whereas the Nazis only ever ruled one country, and Nazi political parties are either outlawed or a joke.

10. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    One reason why the red star is still publicly acceptable to many is that many (some say most) university professors are left wingers. They have, and are, passing this ideology along to their students, with little or no regard for historical facts about Communist atrocities.

11. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I partially agree with you.
    Here they are idealised (even idolised), because Franco suppressed them, and current right wing parties don't make things better.
    But they forget (or never bothered to learn of) atrocities commited by them, here and in other countries.

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    "Left-wing" is not the same as Communist. Communism is the extreme, far-out, off-the-chart abberation of the Left of the political spectrum and few Leftist people I know are in fact anything near Communist. Just because professors may be of Left-wing political persuasion doesn't mean that they will be teaching their students the benefits of Communism.

Personally I have met several professors in University who have seemed implicitly Leftist, but none, not one of them, advocated Communism or tried to cover up any atrocities committed in the name of Communism. It would simply not be accepted by the audience (it is not PC).

13. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    left wing professors may not be actual card carrieing members of the communist partie[if there even still is such a thing]...it sure would seem there are a lot of academics that are certainly apolojists for the misdeeds of red leaders,in fact they practicaly swoon with admiration for fidel and samosza.i dont think ive ever encountered a right wing or consevative professor...i dont know if one could survive to make tenure ,at least here in the u.s.a.

14. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've never had a lecturer who tried to cover up or play down any Communist atrocity. Heck, where do you think I learnt about it?

15. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    With the level of our teachers in recent years, they conveniently "forget" about it or they don't know anything. End result is the same.

Here you end up knowing because our media is divided between both extremes (and a few in the middle ground), and both maximize the "other side" crimes while forgetting about "their" side's.
    The fact most of them (or their fathers) weren't even born doesn't seem to have any importance.

Luckily they are too interested in football (soccer) to start another civil war soon :D

16. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That's often true of lecturers, Ricky, but I was speaking of professors, usually tenured, who are part of a university's faculty. In this country, many of them are leftover counter-culture types from the Vietnam War era, or have been inspired (or indoctrinated...) by such. They flat out hate America and everything about it, yet they continue to live here. I reckon that having a soft life here is preferable to them, since they have the freedom here to run their mouths as much as they please. :roll:

17. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think that this might be an American-specific problem...

btw - I had another idea about why it is still 'PC' - because Communism is often viewed as an ideal system which only fails because people are corrupt, so the ideology is not evil, so the symbols are not evil.

(Not saying this is right, just saying it is a perception)

18. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Maybe they wish to change America into something they like better, instead of just running away from their problems. A good way to try to achieve this is by teaching the new generation of intellectuals different values than those that rule America as it is. I'm not saying they're ever going to succeed but it may explain why they are still around.

19. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    people dont very often run away from america [or its values]they often run to america....by the millions,im afraid. people do however run away from the communist utopias,at great personal risk...hundreds of thousands of eastern europeans,cubans,vietnamese,cambodians and chinese have run away from the very systems these academics embrace.these people risk landmines and bullets,dieing of thirst,exposure,being eaten by sharks....anything to escape the workers paradise......i ask you ,repectfully ,roel ,what american values are these marxist profs. trying to change,so that they dont have to run away..... ?? lol...im sry ...i just had the image of a tenured history or poly sci. prof. crawling under barbed wire then paddeling out to sea with his wife an children to escape the u.s.a.......ha hah.

20. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The appeal in Communism generally lies in it being an alternative to Capitalism (and its inherent inequality), sketching instead a world in which every man and woman does no more than he can and is given all he requires. I do not see the appeal in this world myself and historically it seems people in Communist countries didn't really get it either.