Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

why leave Hungary?

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by bronk7, May 16, 2020.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..my mother in law left Sopron in far western Hungary as a very young child in 1944 in a horse drawn wagon...they went into Germany....then left there after the war to come to America ..supposedly her father fought for the Axis--that's what he said...I did not know at that time about their displacement until after he died....
    ...my question is: did they probably leave because of the Russians coming in? or did the Germans want them for labor? my mother in law doesn't remember ....what is your opinion?
    ...I went to one of their Hungarian Sunday Goulash dinners in an old church cafeteria and I thought the SS were going to crash the doors!! = a lot of older Hungarians talking in their language ...my great father in law dressed in old Hungarian dress as he was a singer....etc

2. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

Zsa Zsa left Budapest in '41..I think the Germans had other plans than simple labor for her.

zsa-zsa-t.jpg

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

If there was some affiliation to the Arrow Cross Party there may have been a fear of retribution from the Hungarian CCP. 800px-Emblem_of_the_Arrow_Cross_Party.svg.png