Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why not make all MG rounds tracer-illuminating?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by the_diego, Jul 25, 2017.

1. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Will it have been too expensive back in WW2? Will it blind a shooter at night? Will it make the shooter too visible and put him at greater risk? I understand this was done in Vietnam and subsequent wars.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Im only aware of two types of tracer (maybe more im sure) - one is a designated tracer, burns bright and is NOT a bullet...put maybe 1 in 5 or 6 or 10 in the belt.he other is a powder charge behind the bullet that ignites and spews smoke...good for air fighting...but not night fighting.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I can't think of an advantage to this?
    If a ratio of tracer is useful at 1:4 or similar, why would you need more?

One ballistic reason why not:
    BASIC BALLISTICS

There are chaps on here with more 'practical' experience, though.
    Doubtless they'll chip in.

gtblackwell likes this.
  4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Please don't melt the barrel.

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Because every fifth round is sufficient for tracking where your bullets are striking. Ball rounds are less expensive and while the trajectories are similar enough for their intended purpose, tracers lose mass as their pyrotechnic burns off so their trajectory does vary from the ball rounds. No, firing all tracers was not a common practice in Vietnam and subsequent conflicts, four to one (every 5th round, 4 ball, 1 tracer) is still the norm. Loading additional tracers as the last rounds in a magazine is/has sometimes been done to alert the shooter that he's about to need a mag change, but this also alerts the enemy so it is not really common. Squad leaders sometimes load all tracers in some mags to use for designating targets for their troops, but it has the unwanted consequence of also alerting the bad guys to the leaders position. So why would you want to fire all tracer?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    gtblackwell, Otto and von Poop like this.
  6. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I had the idea it had a strong psychological effect. Not much advantage if that's all it provides. Aside from squad leaders using all-tracer to designate targets, it was also sometimes loaded into the bottom 10%-20% of the magazine or belt to alert the user that he's running out of ammo. It will also alert the enemy though.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

One would think with night vision and infra red sights (and sights in general)...tracers are being used less...Never heard of it having a psychological effect...I think all heck breaking loose in (near) complete darkness would freak me out more...

8. OpanaPointer

"Tracers work both ways!"

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Tracers use several very harsh metals or salts to create the flare you see, and the residue of such is extremely corrosive to both the barrel and moving parts in the action. The residue can also, anecdotally, lodge in the gas port and shut the entire gun down. That is why it is recommended to use the lowest ratio of tracers to ball rounds that will be useful in directing fire (one tracer per 4 or 5 round burst); with the subsequent ball rounds, theoretically, helping clear any residue left in the barrel by the tracers.

10. OpanaPointer

AND those bullets are basically on fire when the primer goes off. A continuous stream of flaming bullets produces a continuous heat source in the barrel.

11. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Someone put 1500+ tracers through a M60.

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Put 1,500 rounds of ball through the barrel at that rate of fire and you have the same effect.

George Patton likes this.
  13. Takao

Takao Ace

Hell...You can melt an AR with less rounds of ball.