Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why wasn't the BAR given an extended magazine?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by superbee, Jan 9, 2011.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Thanks , guys, my old mind thinks up lots of questions. Great answers and especially appreciate calling your dad. Makes this form great .

Gaines

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I've read that the Ohio Ordnance Works has re-engineered the BAR. They made it lighter and trimmed it down with plastics, instead of wood and alloys, installed a telescoping stock, and increased the cooling capacity and accuracy. And it carries a 30 round magazine to make all the Rogues here happy. Ease over to their website or just Google "modified Browning Automatic Rifle" and then print out a picture of it to give to the old lady before she buys you another tie for Christmas. It only costs $3,600.00, a great stocking stuffer!

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

What, no link?

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Not really sure how to do that. I read where Taylor Swift is headlining the Bayou Country Bash at Tiger Stadium on Memorial Day Weekend (2015) and figured that you'l be bringing your girls back over to see her. You can give me a remedial crash course on how to do such things again.

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/rifles/semi-auto/oow-line/1918a3/1918a3-slr-walnut-stock

This one is in walnut but lots of stuff on their site.

A-58, I have a computer IQ of 14 but when you are on a webpage just "copy" the address on the browser bar. Open a reply box here and decide when you want the link then "paste" it .in.

On Internet Explorer I had "edit" on the tool bar and just clicked that to open copy-paste. I switched to Google Chrome but now have to right click my mouse to open edit functions. I still use a desktop with wired mouse
    laptops may vary.

Now I srtill cannot paste a picture here, I can elsewhere, but help is coming as soon as I get my new tower.

Gaines

PS, E.xcuse my manners , I am not skipdigit, he is younger, taller, more handsome, smarter and actually knows a lot about computers. He will probably put a Trojan Horse on my machine !

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Nice, the comments were even better...
    58 is learnin' up on the net. Pretty soon he will be 59. Secret handshake at 60.
    They should call the new version BAT. Just because.

8. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

wasn't designed to shoot that many rounds. no quick-change barrel system. that's all I can think of. it was actually an individual weapon design (marching fire) back in world war 1, and not a squad support weapon.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Younger? Yes
    Taller? Yes, by a bit.
    More handsome? My wife might argue for that, but what does she know?
    Smarter? Awe come on.

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

No, it doesn't appear to be a BAR remix at all, and not a replacement for the squad support weapon of the US military inventory. Just a cool weapon. Apparently it doesn't need a quick barrel changing procedure because it is not needed, same as with the M-14 for example. I still think it needs to have a bayonet lug, just in case.

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

BAT? Why BAT?

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Bat is universal for a hurt. Something to worry aboot...It's not really a BAR is it? A BAR looks like something from WW2, not a Terminator movie.
    Would I want one? Oh yeah.

13. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

It's the NEW & IMPROVED BAR. Lighter than the original, but just as cool looking. Like I mentioned earlier, I still think it needs a bayonet lug for that added capability if and when things get up close and personal. It's always good to have options.

14. darkh

darkh New Member

30-'06 Rounds have minimal taper. The curvature of a 30 or 40 round magazine would have not been detrimental. The reason was tactical/logistics doctrine. The ordnance people were not happy with the SAW concept; saw it as a needless burden on the supply chain. This the same doctrine that led to Springfield single shot carbines being issued 15 years after the Spencer and various upgrades were introduced in 1862, the exclusive keylocked "selection mode" modification to the M14 and the reduction of the M16 from full auto to tricyclic bursts. Logistics people are always convinced that if infantrymen can waste ammo. they will.

15. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

When the three round burst mechanism was introduced it was not due to logisticians. The weapon very seldom needs to be fired on full auto, a three to five round burst is an optimal compromise between accuracy and firepower, while preventing over working the weapon. While the infantry practice enough to optimize their firepower vs ammo load, accuracy, target elimination, etc. and have fire discipline (well trained infantry that is), most support troops do not. It was not considered practical to deploy different weapons for "pointy tip" and support, so you had the three round burst to enforce fire discipline. They have since gone back and forth so much that you now have a mix of full auto/three round burst models in the inventory.

16. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

From what I have read (Rock in a Hard Place, etc.) the slow-rate option was seldom used by WWII BAR men. And as far as the magazine goes, while US ordnance did not extend it French ordnance did. The Chatellerault (MAC) FM 24/29 was based closely on the BAR, but the French repositioned the magazine above the chamber and added an extra five rounds to give a total of 25. French small arms don't have a very good reputation in the English speaking world but the FM 24/29 was a very successful gun, remaining in frontline service for over 30 years and hanging on in reserve for some years after that.

17. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Supposedly, the Marines often modified the BARs so that the slow-auto selector position fired single shots, at the depot level. http://www.ww2gyrene.org/weapons_BAR.htm This is off topic but did anyone know why the British did not officially increase to allocation of Bren LMG to a pair per squad? Was a single Bren satisfactory for their needs?

USMCPrice likes this.
  18. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

One LMG was not entirely satisfactory, no. I don't think the WE ever allowed for two officially, but by 1944-45 it was very common for British rifle sections to add a second gun on an unofficial basis. My impression is that the the Australians often did the same. War establishments were often modified or ignored in the field.

Triple C likes this.
  19. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

Wow, this is a blast from the past! The curved 40rd mag was for AA use. When it was obsoleted in 1927 other, better, options were available for AA. As for curvature, if welding 2 straight 20rd BAR mags worked, the NFA community would have done it eons ago.

20. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

plus, single shots more accurate than full auto....I'd like to know how the tricyclic burst was or if used in recent conflicts.....it does seem like you could use it as suppressive fire....[ I did spell suppressive correct..? showing misspelled ]