Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WIW German M1940 Combat Helmet

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Giesbrecht, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Giesbrecht

Giesbrecht recruit

Sorry is these threads aren't allowed, if not please remove it.

I was given the helmet after it was found in a family member's basement after sitting there for over 50 or more years (last time it was seen was 50 years ago). I've only owned it two days.

As you can see the helmet still has it's original decal on the side of it. I have done nothing to the helmet besides clean it with a dry cloth to get rid of dust and cobwebs. On the inside is stamped "325" which is the batch number and "Q66". The 66 is the head size in cm and the Q is for the plant, Quist, that was located in Essinglen. The R.P. I have no idea who that is since no one in the family has ever had those initials

The long side of the chin strap is missing a couple inches but the clasp side is complete. As for everything else, you can see from the pictures.

I was just wondering what something like this might be worth? I don't collect Militaria and could use the money instead. Also where would the best place be to sell it? I had thrown it up on ebay and the bidding went up to $731 USD in the first hour I had it listed, until Ebay pulled the auction and said I wasn't allowed to list the helmet. Was the bidding just a joke by people who knew it was going to be pulled or is it roughly what this is worth?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Among the other items were a dagger, a few random shell casings (20mm, 40mm?, mortar shell), a broken german medal, and a couple other small items which mostly went to other family members.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

In it's condition, probably about $450.00. At least it still has it's original liner and draw string. The larger size is highly desirable.

Cheers.