Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World Cup 2014: Why the U.S. Should Support the Netherlands for the Rest of the World Cup

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Ruud, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Ruud

Ruud Member

:)

(By Almar Latour)

Dear American Soccer Fan,

Now that Team USA has exited the World Cup following a truly amazing performance, you may be tempted to stop watching the World Cup altogether as there is no one for whom to cheer.

But there's a remedy: You can throw your support behind another country. And let me be the first to suggest the fine nation of the Netherlands.

Sure, Dutch people may be the object of Dr. Evil's hatred in Austin Powers. But don't write us off. We actually have a lot in common with Americans.

For starters, our flags have the same colors, which means you don't necessarily have to switch fan gear if you switch your support to the Netherlands. Our team may be dressed in Orange, in honor of the Dutch royal family, the House of Orange, but you'll notice little red white and blue flags painted on faces and finger nails of Dutch soccer fans. So keep wearing your bomb pop jerseys and chant your new favorite soccer song: "Hup, Holland, hup."

Like you, the Netherlands has had fights with Belgians and lost. Granted, ours was in the 1830s while yours was just Tuesday. But we both had great defenders who ultimately could not save us from losing. Yours of course is the mighty Tim Howard, blocker of countless shots at his goal. Ours is Jan van Speijk, a Dutch naval officer who when confronted with hostile Belgians decided to blow up his own gunboat in front of the Belgian city of Antwerp.

But it's not just our ultimately futile struggle against Belgians in our past that unites us. Our historic bonds run deep. After all, the Mayflower departed for the new continent from—you guessed it—the Netherlands.

Perhaps it's no coincidence that you mimic some of our age-old policies. For example, as of late, Colorado appears to be turning into a little version of at least part of the Netherlands. (With some notable differences: Our country doesn't have mountains or Maureen Dowd.)

Like the Netherlands or not, I think you can legally claim victory in any case if we win. Your grandparents freed our grandparents 70 years ago, so without you guys there would be no Dutch team. We won't forget that.

We sort of speak the same language. The Netherlands is practically Anglophone, but when we speak we mix in some throat clearing every other sentence to keep up the appearance of having our own language. Here are some quick language essentials that may come in handy with Dutch soccer: "Dat is geen duik" means "that's not a dive."

Just for your convenience, many Dutch soccer players come pre-packaged with easy-to-remember names like "Wesley," "Nigel," "Daley" and, of course, "Memphis."

And before I forget: Linguists say that the word "Yankee" very likely derived from Dutch: Some say the word stems from "Janke," or little Jan, once a common name in the Netherlands and in New Amsterdam. Others say it derived from "Jan-Kees," a common first name. Either way, if you're a Yankee, you're practically Dutch already.

Thank you for your consideration.

Almar Latour is the Journal's executive editor.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-its-time-for-the-u-s-to-go-dutch-1404325468?mod=trending_now_1

Doc Sausage likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nicely written if taken as joke. However I would have skipped the "Yankee" part which is commonly used abroad as a synonym for "American" but which is considered as a "northerner" by our "southern" friends .

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Ruud, you have my full support as soon as supply of herring, cheese and good Dutch beer arrives ! Seriously I have a great fondness for the Netherlands, friends in Weesp and Nieuwe Niedorp and have traveled most of your fascinating country. Oh, thanks for bring the USS Cole back to us, otherwise it would still be in Yemen. I really pulled for you in the last Cup, it could be your turn now . It would be well deserved.

As for Skipper he is in a bind, birth country or adopted one , ummmmmmmmm, I think his Dutch side will out!!

Gaines

4. Ruud

Ruud Member

@Skipper: dont dhoot the messenger :)
    @Gaines, thank again for your kind words , by the way, is your mailbox in this forum blocked . Cant sent you pm.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'll support the Dutch as long as I don't have to actually watch any of it. The nature channel is running a series on fungus and I don't want to miss any of that more exciting fare.

6. Ruud

Ruud Member

I sometimes enjoy observing paint drying.

7. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Great post Ruud.Thoroughly enjoyed.

:rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVZr3WbMQ6w

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That was pretty exciting or at least more exciting than soccer. It takes real professionalism not to stick your finger in there about hour 6 or 7 just to check.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It will ................. but my soccer side won't :dance4:

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

There's a park in Anchorage where they play soccer in the dark. At least I think it's soccer because there's a lot of men in silk shorts flouncing up and down a meadow.

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Okay, I'll ride the Dutch bandwagon. This is kickball, right?

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

And what is up with the Brazilian player names? They have Hulk, Fred, Jo...All one name players. Madonna started this.

13. Fred Wilson

Did you all manage to catch the Dutch / Costa Rica Game?
    The last second was + - THE best moment in soccer history. Ever.

If not... turn OFF the news, grab a six pack of your favourite poison and catch the replay broadcast.

Man oh man. What a finish! [​IMG]The last half / hour or so was just electric.

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Will admit the game can be entertaining. Have to weed out the chaff though.

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Why call a guy "Hulk" if he doesn't go out and kick some arse when his team is down 7-0, last game of tourney? ...Soccer needs to watch hockey.

16. Milleniumgorilla

Milleniumgorilla Member

Hi Ha Ho Holland ist k.o. :rofl:

17. Fred Wilson

If you are going to go down, go down in STYLE. [​IMG] The Dutch are famous for that. It was one of THE games of the century. A defensive masterpiece. [​IMG]

18. rprice

rprice Member

Germany - 7 ... Brazil -1

[​IMG]

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Wow. Soccer knows how to rub it in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEvV0kiVjQ

20. Milleniumgorilla

Milleniumgorilla Member

Victory! Well deserved!