Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World Largest Marine Park

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by von_noobie, Jun 14, 2012.

1. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

The recent announcement by Australia's Labor Government that will see Australia host the worlds largest marine park, Totaling some 3.1 million square km's, While I have no problem with this in general it is another plan which is to be implemented with little thought about those who it will affect.

To me this stink's of very bad attempt's at vote grabbing.. There down in the poll's, They don't have enough support in Parliment to remain in government if any one walks across the floor and with them being on the side of the green's they had to keep the tree hugger's happy to remain in charge.. Every one else be damned.

Would any of you had done it how they have, Even though the flow on effect could affect anywhere from 30-100,000 job's and the government supporting a "whopping" $100 million -_-.. I don't see that amount going very far, Wouldn't even pay for the petrol to move to the City or some place else as this could destroy outright some coastal communities.

Or, Would you have implemented it gradually.. Giving them and there families financial support and tax relief to switch from ocean based fishing to land based breeding fishing.. At least this way people would have time to prepare..

Seem's this government makes one mistake after the other.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Firstly, im not in favour of any compensation except for fishing licences...these industries (like the forest industry) rabbit on about job losses and what else ar they going to do and my grandfathers been doing this etc etc...And Defence can get rid of 1000 jobs in a week and no one bats an eye...retrain, move like everyone else and get over yourselves would be my message.
    The Big problem i have with this is that we dont have a coast guard, NT Fisheries have a joke fleet and the Navy is already overworked doing things they shouldnt be doing...The illegal Indonesian fisherman are going to have a field day...we've left all the fish for them! No police or other fishermen to see them...its a bad joke and a farce if anybody thinks this is going to be a "sanctuary" - Instead a sick shark killing ground that goes unnoticed until its too late...IM VERY DISSAPOINTED WITH THIS.

3. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

CAC, you should now that I have problem with any Industry that suffer's massive job losses.. Especially if it's due to the Government and there short sided decisions.

The thing is, Not so simple to uplift your self and go get a new job.. Not in todays current climate.. Job losses all around, The economy is in tatter's (though Gillard try's and tells us other wise when we all now the only ones making the boig bucks are the Banks, Utility services and Mining companies - 2 speed economy in action). Doing something on a whim creates nothing but more problems.. These fishing comunities would be devastated, Many would have to leave and move towards the city where in any case there are no jobs. People cant afford to have there lively hood uprooted when they have no chance at the current time of any job prospects.

If the Gillard government really cared they would put a 40% tax on the big money makers and lower taxes all around for every one else.. Its the only way we could all afford to live with Australia now having some ofthe most expensive power prices in the world. I think was 5 of Australias states rank in the top 10 most expensive.

And as for the coast guard, I agree we need to seperate that from the navy and enlarge it. 6 OPV's and 2 dozen patrol boats would be the force needed to patrol Australia's EEZ and those of our neighbours that we work with (East Timor, Papua New Guinea, Several pacific Island nations). Personnaly I think we should be enlarging our military as well, Create more jobs and nationalize several industries that foreigners are using to rip Australians off with (Defense, Electricity etc), With all the trouble makers we have dont send them to jail to be babied.. Force them into boot camp.. Works in the US better then any other program.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A good post...you've made me think.