Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WORLD WAR II Day by Day

Discussion in 'Biographies and Everything Else' started by dasreich, Sep 3, 2002.

1. dasreich

dasreich Member

This book, published by Dorling Kindersley, is a pretty much day by day account of the entire second world war, all in newspaper format. Its a book of course, but the articles look and feel like they come out of newspapers from the era. It is stock full of pictures and other information, and I totally recommend it.

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Pretty well, das Reich! Now you can help us with the "What happened today" thread... ;)

I also bought a book some weeks ago about the same thing in nearly the same format:

Shaw, Anthony, WWII, day by day ,2002.

3. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

That's one I'll have to look into- the company I work for (Prentice Hall) recently entered into a major publishing agreement with DK! (In fact, we may have bought them- not sure...)
    Hmmmm... discounts?

I will say one thing though- I was looking through some of DKs other ww2 stuff at one of our trade shows and it was FULL of errors. I don't remember the volume I was looking in, but I do remember, among other things, that the book claimed that the T-34 had a crew of 6! DasRiech, does your volume have any kind of bibliography, source citations?

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

:confused: das Reich or me? :confused:

5. dasreich

dasreich Member

I believe he meant me... [​IMG]

And I couldnt find any general bibliography, however, there were an incredible amount of sources for photographs. From my knowledge compared to the book, so far everything seems legit. Of course, I dont know many(none, really) finer details...I'll have to check deeper.

6. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Oh, my mistake... :D

Also, I bought its sister book, it's really nice too:

Westwell, Ian, "WWI, day by day", 2002

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good news on the book--you can currently get a copy at any Barnes and Nobles bookstore. I have been holding off on buying one since im STIll awaiting my German Uiforms and Equipment Freikorps book to arrive :mad:

In the meantime--if one wishes--one could get some other good and cheaper books to read like: Kommando by lucas (has a printing of a pic I own in it) its the one with Hptm Peter Kiesgen instructing some HJ on how to fire a Panzerfaust. This pic is misrepresented in this book and also in a book by Osprey on ww2--which has the pic labled as being taken in 1945--which it was not--it was on Oct 1943.

[ 24 September 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

8. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Friedrich, my comments were aimed at dasreich's volume. Don't know anything about yours...

Dasreich, it could well have just been some issues with the one I happened to lok at. It was at an educational publishing trade show, so you can imagine that I grabbed a ww2 book as son as I saw it!
    And the other thing is, I'm not sure about the version I grabbed- it could have been a pre-press copy that had not been fully edited.
    Could you give me the ISBN from the book you have? I'd like to look into it, especially if I can get a discount! ;)

Although they tend to be a bit basic, I really like these day-by-day type histories. It's a realy good way to put the whole war into an easier perspective to study.
    nice stuff!

9. dasreich

dasreich Member

ISBN 0-7894-7997-4

www.dk.com has the catalogue.

10. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Heh... I hadn't had time to check our department library (Sheesh, Texas again... PzJgr, your state certainly has it's sh*t together on education, but why do I keep getting all the major TX projects?!?! At least I have a few days respite...)
    We actually have WW2 Day by Day, dasreich. I'm going to check it out, but off the bat it does look impressive. I like the newspaper-looking style.

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

LOL Crazy. It's about time because we have been increasing the size of the fire under the Texas politicians' ass to get a move on our education program. We are playing catch up. So you may be even busier. [​IMG]

12. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

I don't know, PzJgr... Texas is still leading many of the educational policies/trends, at least as fa as textbook production is concerned.
    The really scary thing is that the other states are starting to follow Texas's lead. Pretty soon, we'll have to go through all this stuff for every state.
    Around then is when I have my nervous breakdown...

13. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

That is called job security my friend. [​IMG] I'm glad to hear that Texas is doing something good. Thanks for the info

14. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Heh... well said. And you're right!!

On the WW2 Day by Day- I'd have to gree with dasreich. This one is impressive in the chronological history department. The info does seem accurate- at least close enough. SOme of the specific numbers may be outdated, but that would not be the primary use for a volume like this anyway.
    And the presentation is really well done. A suprisingly good read for a book of this type...