Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Worst Move by any of the generals in the war

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by SlickAG, Mar 12, 2001.

1. SlickAG

SlickAG Guest

Which general or commander in the war do u think made the worst move and had the most significant effect on the outcome of the war? Also what was the bad mave that they made?

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Montgomery: Operation Market Garden. Need I say more. As usual, comes up with ambitous plans but does not have the proper attitude to implement. Too conservative in his moves and doesn't react with the speed needed. Outcome; had no affect on the war effort other than a great loss to the airborne corps.

------------------
    "They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet or fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason."

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member

I still think Hitler's plan to move into Russia was a disastrous mistake. Had he not done that he might have been able to take Europe first then focus on other goals.

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member

Yeah, Montgomery really did blow it. Then again, many of the Generals who were fighting in Greece and Turkey were also really bad.

5. SlickAG

SlickAG Guest

I'm not really sure what Hitler was thinking when he attcked Russia and Poland. He could have used their help until later in the war at least, then attcked when he was closer to vicctory. I think he attacked these "aliies" to an extent way to early.

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I really believe Hitler could have defeated the Soviet Union had he not adhered to the untermenschen philosophy.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

------------------
    "They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet or fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason."

7. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I second that PzJgr.

8. Ron

Ron Member

I think MacArthur made a pretty big mistake allowing his airforce be destroyed on the ground in the first day or two of combat. He must have heard about Pearl Harbor before the attacks on the Philippines! I'm sure he was smart enough to realise that if the Japanses attacked Pearl Harbor only common sense says that the Philippines would be next in coming on their list of targets! So even a day after Pearl Harbor he still had all his aircraft grouped together all in the open! What a waste!

9. Nikki

Nikki Member

I wonder if MacArthur didn't send out his B-17's because he didn't know where to send them. He couldn't just send them out as soon as Pearl Harbor was attacked because then they would just be low on gas. I suppose it would have been a wiser decision then letting them all get blown away though.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree with you too PzJgr, and then I think that Stalingrad was the next BECAUSE GFM Friedrich Paulus did not disobey Hitlers orders by trying to save 6th Army. They lost just as POWs about 600,000 men-not including deaths, wounded, missing etc. That is a heck of a lot in my opinion.

11. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

What do you mean, "not counting death, wounded or injured"? Did they just dissapear?

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nope, these were other casualties. The battle lasted for what? several months. This battle was one of attrition and the Germans lost. I heard or read that the entire German losses for Stalingrad alone, was to the tune of 1 million ++++. These figures do include the POWs, MIAs and KIAs.

The 600,000 were the ones who surrendered in Der Hexen Kessel at the end of the battle. Out of the 600,000, only 5-6,000 returned to Germany. This doesnt mean that the rest all died in captivity-tho hundreds of thousands did, it just means that only that number went back to Germany. A good friend of mines father, was captured at the end of Stalingrad, and was not released by the Russians until 1955. His only "crime" was: that he was a Sanitator in a Pioneer unit (Medic in an Engineering unit)

Hope I answered you decently [​IMG]

13. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Yea I got it Evans, thanks

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. JoCon

JoCon Member

i agree by your statement.

16. JoCon

JoCon Member

well put.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

[​IMG] and [​IMG] and [​IMG]

18. Wittmann

Wittmann Member

My vote goes to.........
    the german highcommand. In russia they wasted to much time thinking wether or not they were gonna attack moskou. When the decided to attack weeks were lost. The wether turned horrible and the Russians had put up their defences properly. If this hadn't happened, the germans would have been able to move further into russia and isolate leningrad completly. This way the might had decreased their frontline so they could have concentrated their troops and the Russian troops would have had trouble to use their main weapon. Their resources of troops

19. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I believe the blame for that fiasco would go to der fuhrer himself. He was the one who order Guderian's panzer forces south to assist in taking Minsk. He ended up getting in the way. It was a delay of 6 wks I believe. The high command does have only itself to blame for not standing up to Hitler.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good points, and this is embarassing for me to admit but, it seems like The Leningrad Front was The Forgotten Front. Whats embarassing about it is that a very good friend of mine served on the Leningrad front as a member of the Waffen SS and is a KC Recipient. [​IMG]