Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Worst WW2 movies ever made?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Lord of War, Nov 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. bigfun

bigfun Ace

awww come on Slip, that's a classic! i think it's kind of funny that even the dozen themselves have different uniforms in different colors!! all the movie goofs! but i still like it!!

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I think that 'Dirty Dozen' is a love-it-or-hate-it movie. To some, it's a total classic whereas others just don't like it.

I have to say that it's just not for me, even though I'm not averse to 'fantasy' movies ( eg 'Where Eagles Dare' is one of my all-time favourites....:eek: )

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

WOW, Jeff and Martin now have the distincition of being the first twqo and ONLY two people that I have ever heard of that hated The Dirty Dozen. All I can say is WOW!!!

Jeff, you need to give the movie another show-from the beginning and watch for the excellent interaction that goes on between all of the actors. Lee Marvin does one hell of an excellent job in this movie. Charles Bronson was great as well. I can go on and on about the rest of the cast as well.

WOW, im flabbergasted.

Being that I was (and still am) so flabbergasted at Jeffs and Martins negative responses about the classic: The Dirty Dozen, I completely forgot to post what i'd originally wanted to post?

4. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Don't worry Carl, I have "senior" moments like that all the time!!;)

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh :lol: :lol: but whats MY excuse? :rofl:

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Now Carl, I didn't say I hated the movie. To the contrary, I like the movie, but I really noticed some things about the movie that detracted from it. I've probably seen it 15-20 times over years since I was about 10. The pre-jump parts are good, enjoyable fun and the chateau part, well, not so much. I liked it when they drove the prime mover over the car. That was cool.

I'll never put in the same category as The Baffle of the Bulge. Few movies are that rank.:phlrt:

7. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Thin red line, Pearl Harbour.
    I still cringe.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

{{{Aw C-mon, now your picking on the: Battle of the Bulge?]]] Just kidding, just kidding ;-))

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ditto. I thoroughly disliked both of those movies. If I had to choose which to see again, Pearl Harbor would be my choice since it's barely watchable. However, TRL isnt watchable at all. I will always wonder just why, the studio that made the remake, chose such a "dud" to remake? The original TRL, stunk pretty bad as well.

10. bigfun

bigfun Ace

yeah.."thin red line" HA!:yuck:

there's 2 hours of my life i want back!

11. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

I wanted to blow my brains out after seeing that, biggest pile of crap i have ever watched made Pearl Harbour simply interesting. I ended up on Anti-depressants after that, i want my life back.

12. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Sorry Carl, I dislike the Dirty Dozen as well. The "original", "definitive", win against impossible odds fantasy. Agreed, some of the stars are top notch, action is always a "big" sell, but that doesn't make up for the plot.
    Armageddon is a like effort of losers saving the day in the nick of time. World saving hero's? I wouldn't hire these guys to mow my lawn.
    Unfortunately the "cornerstone" of ceaseless come from behind, against impossible odds "Sports" movies as well.
    They're all like eating popcorn with a sore throat,...you know what's coming, and it's going to hurt, and it's not worth the pain. So...why do it ?
    One for the gripe list...I did like...
    Thin Red Line.......DUCK !......
    The humanity of it was, I think....real. The wimpy CO of the Company...Starels, would've never led. The mistakes, useless slaughter (both forces), Banzai charges (when they knew their goose was cooked), depredation of means (weapons/supplies-water/reconnaissance/viable support, tactics-(those two guys being told to move up, when it was surely suicidal, which it was), and the insanity, unpreparedness, unexpected horrific violence, rookie mistakes (hand grenade incident), feigning sickness, and surrealistic thoughts of soldiers trying to be somewhere else instead of in the thick of all that suffering), was closer than other flag wavers dared to be.
    Desperate (human) choices in war (where that "luxury" does not exist), and how humanity, tries to ignore the obvious in order to (maintain/juggle) (sanity/conscience/duty), even against its' own survival).
    Perhaps too deep for most.
    Above all, the accuracy of fire, and what actually happens in a battle where the enemy does not miss, just because of the uniform of its' targets.
    A shock, yet why unbelievable ?
    It went past what would've transpired, but not past what could've.
    Not a "peace-nick" movie (wholly), rather a glimpse at souls ?
    I own it, and enjoyed the fact that it was so cheap. One can always, jump past the stupid parts (as with most others), to get to the relevant stuff. :rolleyes:;)
    The full meaning of the "Title" (from the first version) was....."There is a thin red line separating the sane from the insane."

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skunk.W, wow, ;-)) now I know three who disliked the film. I don't know, I just never watched that film for realism, if I did; i'd hate it too I guess?

Actually, I try never to watch any film for any realism that it's touted as having. If I did, there would be very few films I could actually like. Heck, take a look at: "Hart's War as an example. Never, not once, have I ever heard of Black Soldiers who were made POW's ever billeted with White POW's. Yet, this movie had those two pilots billeted in a "white" barracks. Also, their "Hogan's Heroes-like" scenario though enjoyable to watch, was a laugh at best if looking for realism.

I know im one of few here who actually enjoyed watching: Battle of the Bulge. I like that movie for many reasons like:

Because it's one of my top most favorite battles to study about that happened in WWII.

The all-star cast.

The battle scenes.

The music.

One of my Uncles was in the 101st and was at Bastogne.

My roommate's Uncle was killed in Bastogne just one day before Col. Abrams broke the German encirclement.

Because this battle is one of few on the Western Front, that can be compared to battles on the Eastern Front.

Someday, maybe I can "convert" you guys on this movie?

14. skunk works

skunk works Ace

I know exactly what you're saying, especially when you mentioned Hart's war, BotB, and others. I don't know why some connect and others go right on by. I doubt there are many most of us haven't seen many times.
    Some that "suck"...I like, and others (that are "Blockbuster" classics), I have no time for.
    To be analytical about it, perhaps it has some other deep rooted memory attached to it, like what was going on in your life at that time ? Too high an expectation, age, level of maturity.....whatever.
    If you go by total realism, most can't even hope to match up. I guess it's just what effects you...alone.
    I like a lot of "Stinkers", U-571 (for example), why I still don't know.
    To each his own, I guess. I'll watch it again, and give it another chance.
    Kelly's Hero's is unreal to the max, but it makes up for it with the flippant attitudes, jokes, characters, action, and "stickin it to the man" theme.
    My favorite line from that one.....
    Crap-game,
    Hey Joe, how goes it out there.......
    Make a deal.
    Big Joe,
    What do you mean?
    Crap-game,
    A deal-deal, maybe the guy's a Republican.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, I do see what you all mean but, even knowing those tanks shown in BoB were not German, never really mattered to me though I knew better. Same goes for most of the war movies out there. Hell, one of my favorite naval war movies is one called: Operation Pacific. There is a scene in it where it goes up against one of those "Q" ships, and the sub fights above the waves instead of beneath the waves. The action is good and all that but I have to look at this more as just another dated action movie and or a propaganda piece.

Take "Sahara" w/ Humphrey Bogart as a great example of a propaganda movie. I loved the movie from the first time I saw it, thought all the actors worked very well together and the storyline was good enough. But the main thing is, is that I did not let the "propaganda" part of it ruin it for me.

16. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

About Pearl Harbor, It had could been a good movie but the fact that they make of a war a pure love story...

Still I don't put Pearl Harbor on the list of Worst Movies... Besides some facts (and what I said above and you guys) it's still a good one.

skunk works likes this.
  17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Pearl Harbor was nothing more than a waste of time, money and film. The action scenes are pretty good but, for thsi movie to become a good movie, they need to chop it in half-timewise.

18. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I liked Sahara, even it was a bit cheesy. I wasn't trying to tell a "true" story as I go the strong impression BoB was doing.

19. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Probably the scene where the German officers and their women are locked in a bunker, soaked in gasolene, and then incinerated as grenades are dropped down air-shafts just makes me feel rather uncomfortable.....

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Actually, BoB was only using the actual history as a guiding point for their story. There are many seperate smaller stories that were shown which made up the movie over all. The same thing can be said for Herman Wouk's: The Winds of War and War and Remembrance.

Also, did you know that TWoW & WaR, aren't really considered as a mini-series but as the worlds longest movie equelling approximately some 50 hours runningtime.