Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Would the war have been shortened

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by ErikMetha, Jan 13, 2021.

1. ErikMetha

ErikMetha New Member

If Montgomery wasn't commanding the 21st Army Group? Montgomery was always advocating for a single, narrow thrust straight to Berlin. The fallacy of it was proven in Market Garden. Hard to move supplies, needed material (pontoons), equipment forward on a narrow thrust. Additionally, the terrain in Northern Germany was no as favorable to tank warfare as was other parts of Germany.
    While Monty was carefully planning his Rhine River crossing, the 9th Armored captured Remagen. Then Patton crosses too. Monty was still planning.

Monty had boasted that he would capture Caen on D-Day. That didn't happen and it took a long time before it was. Then he failed to close the Falaise Gap. Admittedly he was up against 5 panzer divisions, but he had overwhelming air superiority in his favor.

I would have sacked Monty and asked for Alexander to lead in his place.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Monty was the man to h0ld onto German Pz divisions but I am afraid the US units faced too tough an enemy. Also the ground did not help in advance. Even without Luftwaffe the Germans hasd enough firepower to keep the enemy away. If anyone has better ideas to take Caen in one day, just go and tell us.

3. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Patton and his officers certainly believed the war would have been shortened.

Falaise Gap wasn't closed b/c Monty couldn't capture it (but his was not an easy task).

Supplies cut off from Patton so Market Garden could be done.

The British needed a better field commander than Monty. Monty was too set-piece WW I style of generalship. Churchill prepared a speech congratulating Monty on breechng the Rhine. Two American armies beat him to it. Speech got cancelled.

ColHessler likes this.
  4. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I grow convinced that leaving Monty in command of a narrow thrust was invitation to prolonging the war. Monty may have had charisma, but he lacked the dash of Rommel or Patton. Certainly because of the Allied strength (including that of the Soviets) the Germans would still have lost, but would have lost later than sooner.

I'm glad Ike told Monty to liberate/occupy Denmark and save it from the Soviets.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I am no apologist for Montgomery, but we must consider both past history and doctrine which called for more caution for UK ground commanders after the extreme loss of life in the previous war, US commanders did not have this experience having not fought a war like that since the 1860's.

6. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Post Market-Garden Monty didn't mind grinding down the 82nd or 101 to expand his bridgehead. What a waste of elite soldiers. Then w/out much of a rest, rebuild, refit they rushed off to fight the Ardennes Offensive.

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Montgomery had many fault ( and then some ! ). But in case the impression is given that he squandered American lives, consider the situation of the 'fortified goose egg ' ( Commanster ) in the Ardennes. This is the well-known incident where Hasbrouk, Clark and the other commanders on the spot recommended withdrawal but Ridgway refused. Montgomery ordered the withdrawal, saving 7th Armored, CCB 9th Armored and the remnants of the 106th Divn from almost certain destruction.

' (Montgomery) here showed the ability to honor the fighting man which had endeared him to hearts of the Dsert Rats in North Africa. "They can come back with all honour. They come back to more secure positions. They put up a wonderful show" '

From : 'The United States Army In World War II : The Ardennes : Battle Of The Bulge' by Hugh M Cole.

8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...who knows......a lot of factors involved--one of which was the Germans

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Hitler used his last forces to nothing