Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Would you consider the atomic bombs a war crime?

Discussion in 'Atomic Bombs In the Pacific' started by thecanadianfool, May 5, 2012.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The government's decision to move the munitions production into the civilian homes meant that they were targets.

2. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

You mean the Japanese? Was Japan a democracy ? Could the citizens chose how and where and how many factories were build in their neighbourhood???? Or the Germans ? "Oh old boy Adolf, please don´t build that Messerschmidt plant nearby my house" Adolf replies "Oh sorry for that, we build it near the other cities houses"...not even in democracy citizens can decide where thier GOV or huge companies build their facilities. Where do you live if I might ask - cause you seem to have astonishing powers as a citizen...

3. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

You have misunderstood my quote. That was published in Japanese newspaper to inform the Japanese population how "brave" their "knights" were in China.

But of course we are all imposed to the propaganda. All governments have their propaganda departments renamed into euphemistic "Public Relation departments" and "Ministeries of Information. Have you ever heard about the "Ministry of Truth"? Of course not because the politicians run politics.

What we want here is to discuss historic facts and to share own opinions. Japanese have entered the war with the USA and have tasted full flavor of defeat. Well, almost; they have deserved to be beaten even harder. The last sentence is my humble opinion.

4. OpanaPointer

Look up "IRAA".

5. Bundesluftwaffe

I am not defending the Jap in any way.... again you read something into my post. (I even played the Allied side in WITP AE :p ). I question the stance most people here have that anything goes and kill masses of people (on any side). So you would be ok, that your family would be killed only cause eg. a small barracks with 50 idle soldiers dwindling their thumbs is 200m near your house?

And just MAYBE the allies could lower a bit their total surrender terms... to keep emperor in place eg. If he was kind of a god to the people there, which is stupid, but would it be so difficult.... maybe Japs had accepted saved 100000s of live.

But I know now for sure here is not a place for such thoughts. This forum is too extreme for me, sadly.

6. Bundesluftwaffe

???

IRAA-Institute for Research in Applied Arts
    Art. Jewellery. Products.

???

You write in riddles my friend, also "a bit" short to understand what you wanna say.....

7. OpanaPointer

I'm posting from a cell phone clipped to a board over my head. It takes a bit of work.

Now, how about looking up IRAA in bloody context.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

In Japan, a cottage industry sprung up in homes and small shops to make war materials. This move dispersed the war making industry from centralized locations that were easily bombed once the US got withing bomber range to widespread residential areas, small towns, etc. Of course carpet bombing and fire bombing addressed this problem quite well. The civilians didn't fare so well, but then at that point, they were part of the war machine and fair game so to speak. Dreadful business this total war thing.

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Imperial Rule Assistance Association.

You can also research Dai Nihon Fujin Kai, and their precursors, Akikou Fujin Kai & Dai Nippon Kokubo Fujin Kai, for more information on how the Japanese put their women to work for the war effort.

Of course, the Japanese also put their school children to work for the war effort too. Their most well known effort being the construction of the balloon bombs that Japan launched against the United States.

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Opana Pointer refers to this. Please read it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Rule_Assistance_Association
    We have argued this ad nauseum. If the bomb had not been dropped, the only alternative was American invasion. Read Hell to Pay which contains contemporary sources, as well as reasoned research. Then decide if the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were war crimes. The Japanese government argued for the continuation of the war, and even armed civilians to repel invaders. The human cost to both Americans and Japanese would be enormous.

11. Takao

Takao Ace

Well...No...Carpet bombing and fire bombing did not address this issue at all. The Americans thought it was addressing the issue, but, really, they were not.

You see, the Cottage Industry had proven to be an abysmal failure(increased production times and utter lack of quality), that the practice had mostly stopped by mid-1944. However, the Americans did not find this out until after the war was over and they got a good look at Japanese records.

12. Bundesluftwaffe

Yup I am stupid sometimes and also old fashioned - I type only on a proper keyboard :)

Found:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Rule_Assistance_Association

Will read thanks.

And @

LRusso216

You are right, it may be my infos aren´t good enough on the Japanese systems of rule and their fanatism. I appologize if some of my posts were wrong in this issue.

13. OpanaPointer

Now, if you'd like to know more, try reading Japan: 1941 by Eri Hotta.

14. lwd

lwd Ace

Some were fore just sealing off Japan and waiting. Famine would have hit some time in late 45 or 46 and continued bombing would have eventually the transport of any signficant amount of food difficult. Allied casualties would lkely have been less than the invasion although significantly higher than historical. Japanese casualties would have been horrendus.

15. Takao

Takao Ace

Certain Victory: Images of World War II in the Japanese Media, by David C. Earhart would be a good idea too.

16. OpanaPointer

We were planning on using herbicides to reduce the rice crops by up to 90% if Japan continued to resist. First to go, the babe at the breast, the sick, the elderly.

17. OpanaPointer

I'll try to find it.

Found it. Forget it. $150?

18. Takao

Takao Ace

19. OpanaPointer

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I read that book. There were so many factions in Japan it was difficult to know who was in charge. It would seem that the militarists won out.