Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Would you consider the atomic bombs a war crime?

Discussion in 'Atomic Bombs In the Pacific' started by thecanadianfool, May 5, 2012.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Steve please don't bring politics into this, or it will be closed or moved. I myself am a left winger, I've served and believe me politics have no place here. I'm certainly not against war, in fact I'll gladly do my bit again if they ever needed disabled war pensioners to return to the colours. There are no political party's on any of our war graves as I'm sure there are not on yours. Lefties fight and bleed the same colour as righties.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This is one position I ran into at Purdue. "Today we will begin another round of talks on the reason the US is, was and always has been the bad guy." Problem is that a lot of "campus radicals" from the '60s and '70s are now professors.

I had fun pissing them off.

3. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

I grew up liberal and was a child in the sixties. I am still a staunch believer in liberal principals, I was just exagerating to make a point that his views were from what I believe is a wrong position.

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Understood mate...And I tend to agree with Opa....In the UK certainly the intellectuals of a certain age and have hijacked the current arguments on nuclear warfare and weaponry. The foot soldiers have to remind them that there is a real world out there. But that is another thread another time.
    I will though say on all this..the past is another country...they thought and acted differently then, and who can blame them...I'm still against nuclear weapons...I'm still for the dropping of the 2 bombs on Japan.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

The bombs dropped on Nagasaki & Hiroshima have been derided and applauded since the day they were dropped. One thing to look at is their use was just one more escalation in waging War. They were not used as a first strike but as another technique to carry the War to the enemy. And hopefully end it. Should there be a set number of aircraft used to deliver bombs? At the beginning of the War flights of dozens of B17's were our maximum capability and as time went on those dozens turned into hundreds. Since the B29's could carry more bombs over longer distances should their use be considered a War crime? Was the use of Napalm a "War Crime"? Same goes for the bombs, be it 2 or 2 thousand. It was not a "War Crime" to use what and as many as could be used.
    The dropping of those two bombs, far from being a war crime, should be viewed as what they came to be seen as, a deterrent to War.

6. OpanaPointer

I challenge anyone to show that Germany and Japan wouldn't have used the bombs if they had them first.

7. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I think you'd be safe to raise that challenge to a "Double Dog Dare". I think the only question I have is wether or not either country would have used a silencer on them.

8. OpanaPointer

I'm sure Hitler would have chose a remote location to demonstrate the bomb. Like the East End.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

This argument is getting old. I'm sure that Germany and Japan would have used the bomb, if they had it. Read Hell to Pay, and I defy anyone to doubt whether the decision to drop the bomb was justified.

BTW, I am also a liberal in the current political climate, but I don't question the wisdom of this decision.

10. Biak

Oh Great, now we'll get the "So If Johnny (sorry) Jerry jumped off a cliff would you?" argument.

I apologize in advance. going to my room now.

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Three would have been better.

And I'm a leftie too.

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Why three whereas two was enough to end the war?

13. OpanaPointer

I was merely pointing out that the morality is relativistic when it comes to use of the bombs.

14. lwd

lwd Ace

I think we just experianced a drive by trolling.
    Note the poster who instigated this has not posted since. His previous posts didn't look like trolls however so perhaps not.

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Not necesseraly a troll thread, it's just that these are started over and over again , and yes, we all fall for it and jump right it, with the same arguments that have been around for years on the forum and elsewhere. I think I might actually sail to another thread and leave this one for a while , or for good.

16. Biak

OpanaPointer, Didn't mean anything by the "If so & so" remark. Vain attempt at 'levity' :( There are so many A-bomb 'good or Bad'? threads on here it gets kinda stale repeating the same ol' same ol'.
    This small snippet from a premier site says enough for me;

At the time of the surrender Japan still had 2,000,000 men under arms in the homeland and was capable of conducting a tenacious ground defense; about 3,000 Japanese aircraft were also operational. Nevertheless, the Japanese could hardly have continued the war for more than a few months. On the other hand, the fact that an invasion was not necessary certainly spared many American lives.

HyperWar: US Army in WWII: American Military History [Chapter 23]

17. lwd

lwd Ace

I didn't meen to suggest that the thread was a troll thread. But denny's last post here sure has a lot of "troll sign" i.e. numerous controversial opinions backed by little or no sources or logic and no replies to the counter posts.

18. OpanaPointer

Perhaps merging would solve some problems? A post with little or no new content could be appended to a previous thread on the same topic.

And then we could shoot the poster and leave his body for the vultures.

19. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I prefer the current approach of shaming the OP into leaving and not comming back, that makes it look more like suicide.

20. Biak

From this day forward my answer will be - No.