Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW1 Underground; exploring the Glory Hole

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Jun 10, 2011.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Archaeologists are beginning the most detailed ever study of a Western Front battlefield, an untouched site where 28 British tunnellers lie entombed after dying during brutal underground warfare. For WWI historians, it's the "holy grail".
    When military historian Jeremy Banning stepped on to a patch of rough scrubland in northern France four months ago, the hairs on the back of his neck stood up.
    The privately-owned land in the sleepy rural village of La Boisselle had been practically untouched since fighting ceased in 1918, remaining one of the most poignant sites of the Battle of the Somme"
    BBC News - WWI underground: Unearthing the hidden tunnel war

2. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Dang. Nice find!!! Must be something else to stand on a piece of untouched history. I was at Gettysburg a couple of years ago, and the hairs on the back of my neck did quite a bit of dancing. Can't even begin to imagine what a virtually un-touched battlefield must be like.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I know. I live on the battlefield of Bannockburn, which is now 99% developed. The only part still in it's "original" state is the part owned by the National Trust for Scotland, and that's only about five acres.