Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW1 Warship restored

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Jul 14, 2014.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Don't know about U-Boat skippers, but I've certainly got a headache looking at it.
    "HMS President (1918), one of the last remaining First World War warships, has been transformed with a 'camouflage' paint job by a German artist to mark the centenary of the start of the conflict.
    The anti-submarine ship's makeover was inspired by dazzle camouflage, in which glaring colours and geometric shapes were used to mislead enemy U-boat captains during the First World War.
    Artist and sculptor Tobias Rehberger transformed the boat, which is permanently moored on the Thames, near the Victoria Embankment, as part of the 14-18 NOW project, a cultural programme commemorating the war.

Also called razzle dazzle, or dazzle painting, dazzle camouflage was used not to conceal British and American ships, but to make it difficult for the enemy to estimate their range, speed and route.

Each ship was given a different dazzle pattern so that German attackers would struggle to determine the class of vessel.
    As one of the last three surviving First World War Royal Navy warships, HMS President (1918) was itself painted in dazzle camouflage during the conflict, when it was deployed as a submarine hunter tracking down German U-boats."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2692003/HMS-President-transformed-camouflage-paint-job-German-artist-mark-centenary-World-War-I.html#ixzz37UZdVjsM

belasar, ULITHI and Sandwichery like this.
  2. Sandwichery

Sandwichery Active Member

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, she wasn't on display the last time we were in London. Sorry we missed her. I noticed that you're based in Stirling. We're going to be in the area in September. Maybe we'll cross paths in the pub.

3. GRW

That sounds interesting. Give me a shout closer to the time and maybe we could get together?

4. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

That is the most "intense" dazzle paint I've ever seen. Headache indeed Gordon! Thanks for the link!

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Never seen a "dazzle" pattern quite like that. Is it historically accurate or a reinterpretation?

6. Takao

Takao Ace

From the article.

So yes, the sewer pipe "camo" is quite fake.

Granted, I am not an "artsy-fartsy" type. But, it really does look like this German artist painted this historic British vessel to look like a collection of sewer pipes. Which would have made for a far more interesting, and accurate, title.

George Patton likes this.
  7. GRW

Yeah, doubt if they would have had the time, energy or inclination for the 3D effects seen here.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't care if it's real or not, but it is head-ache inducing.

9. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Perhaps its the last revenge of the Kaiser!