Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Background

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by Mike Moser, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

My Dad has passed and would never really talk about his service in N.Africa,Sicily,Italy,France or Germany.Except for the fact he didnt want to jump out of airplanes and wasnt fond of hiking so he got into Artillery Automatic Weapons squads.Name was Joseph P Moser Ser#353699793,served in the 436th AA/Artillery battery D.Inducted in Whiting,Indiana.I would greatly appreciate any info that I can start researching.

2. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Welcome. My father fought the same path. After 1000's of hours internet searching and lots of luck I was able to trace my dad from day one to within 1/4 mile of where he got his Purple Heart. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that will chime in. I'd say start now by using a few search engines for "Artillery Automatic Weapons" to learn all you can.

3. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

4. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Mike,

The 436th Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Automatic Weapons Battalion (Mobile) was activated 20 April 1942 at Camp Hulen, Texas as a Separate Coast Artillery Battalion Anti-Aircraft-Automatic Weapons. It was deactivated on 9 October 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York. It departed Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation on 27 October 1942 and landed in North Africa on 8 November 1942 as part of Operation TORCH. It landed on Sicily on 10 July 1943 as part of Operation HUSKY. It landed in Italy after 9 September 1943 and then in Southern France on 18 September 1944. By August 1945 it was at Augsburg, Germany and returned to the States via the New York Port of Embarkation on 8 October 1945.

That should give you a start. You might do some searches in the Coast Artillery Journal/Antiaircraft Artillery Journal, which are available online. I know in Tunisia it was assigned to rear area defense against air attack, in Sicily I believe it was attached to the 3d ID, in Italy and the invasion of Southern France I believe it was attached to VI Corps, and in Europe it spent 11 February-1 May 1945 attached to the 63d ID.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

6. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

Wow thats great,thanks

7. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

I did find the 436th Motto."Defend and spare not".