Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 effects: Michigan

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JJWilson, Feb 28, 2018.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, sorry I'm a little late to the posting party of this. Today I'm covering the Great Lake states contribution to the Second World War. I've never been there, but hopefully I can visit sometime in the future.Previous WW2 effects Kentucky: WW2 effects: Kentucky

Michigan Pre-WW2
    The Great Depression brought the Industrialized behemoth to it's knees, and the situation was looking pretty bad in just about every economic sector of the state in the 30's. Michigan was one of the Midwestern states that was considerably modernized and built for the tumultuous years ahead, and had moved towards an industry and technology economy, while moving away from it's agricultural roots. The invention of the car, and the eventual creation of some of America's most successful automotive industries, helped Michigan become a serious contender in America's industry game. Some of these big name companies include Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, and General Motors. They would do much more than make cars in the next few years, and be the backbone of the arsenal of Democracy. In the meantime though, Michigan's population was struggling with 15% unemployment rates, and had one of the highest homeless, and orphan populations in the U.S.

Michigan WW2

Few States were prepared physically and Mentally for the Struggles WW2 brought, than Michigan. The state was a sleeping industrial giant ready to wake up with a bang. It's people desperate for work and a better life, sacrificed much, sometimes all to help the war effort. The car companies I talked about earlier, played a major role in supplying the Armed Forces, with just about everything under the sun. Here is a part of an article( Michigan's Contribution to WWII | The Globe at War) that I think best describes the work Michigan took up during the war. "For example, General Motors built the majority of the nearly 10,000 Grumman Avenger torpedo bombers produced. Pontiac built more 20-mm anti-aircraft cannons on license than the existing Swiss manufacturer of the weapon (Oerlikon) could have imagined possible. Oldsmobile cranked out some 48 million rounds of artillery shells. Buick built 1,000 aircraft engines per month, and Michigan factories produced four million engines during the war. Detroit factories manufactured rifles, mess kits, gyro compasses, gun feeds, map cases, and more...But we can't forget the tanks. Oh the tanks. The Detroit Tank Arsenal tank assembly plant located in Warren Michigan (a suburb of Detroit just north of the city limits) built half of all the tanks the U.S. manufactured during WWII. Mind you there were 17 U.S. factories building tanks, so this gives you some idea of what this huge plant's workers were accomplishing." Along with the impressive scale of work in Willow Run, Michigan produced vast amounts of dairy and meat products to send to the front. Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Battle Creek all contributed in some way shape or form to the war effort. Unemployment went from 15% to less than 1% in the span of a few months.

Michigan Post WW2

600,000 of Michigan's men went to war, 12,885 never returned. Michigan was crucial to the war effort, it was second in funding to New York, so that right there shows the importance of it's involvement. Michigan came out of the war stronger and better built economically than ever before, Michigan today is still an industrial powerhouse, and it will continue to be a leader in production of U.S Goods for decades to come.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Learnt heaps I didn't know mate...good post.

JJWilson likes this.
  3. JJWilson

Thanks CAC, I learn so much doing these too, Michigan is a pretty incredible state with incredible people.

4. machine shop tom

machine shop tom Member

Thank you!

5. JJWilson

Are you from the great state of Michigan Tom? Any stories you want to add?