Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Era Letter Written by Member of the 101st Airborne Division while in Berchtesgaden.

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Heartfeltzero, May 4, 2023.

1. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

IMG_6733.jpeg

This letter was written by Albert P Azevedo. He served in Company A of the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment within the 101st Airborne Division. Unlike the Paratroopers of the division who would jump from planes in enemy territory, the Glider Infantry Soldiers would fly in and land with gliders such as the Waco CG-4A.

The 327th Glider Infantry would take part in many of the same engagements that the famous Easy Company of the 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment fought in as seen in the series Band of Brothers. The 327th fought along side them in the assault on Carentan, they would take part in Operation Market Garden, and would be besieged with the 506th and other units in Bastogne during the battle of the bulge. The 327th would earn the designation of “Bastogne Bulldogs” for their action during the engagement.

After Bastogne, the 327th would move into Germany and end up in the famous town of Berchtesgaden where Hitlers Eagles nest resided. Many members of the regiment would make the trip up the mountain to visit the eagles nest. This letter was written while Alfred was in Berchtesgaden. It reads:

“Germany
    May 31st 1945

Dear Ma and Pa,

Received your letters a couple of days ago and was surely glad to hear from you once more. For me, I couldn’t feel any better and sure hope you feel the same. Well I’ll start out about the paper you sent me. It’s a good idea, but before the paper goes through the big shots hand, it will be about 6 months and by that time I’ll be home, so what’s the use turning it in.

*Next page*

If I give it to the company commander, he can’t do a thing about it, he’ll send it to a high guy and it will keep going that way for months and by that time, the Div. will be in the states and I’ll get a furlough or a discharge. Why didn’t you write ahead and ask me about it, it would have put you out of all the trouble you went through of getting that paper. Yeh. I’m kind of liking the army. For one thing this outfit pay’s pretty good. I get about $117.00 a month…

*Next page*

and that isn’t bad is it. I’d like to go home mom but you know how it is. Yeh talking about home, this outfit is a home but still it’s not as good as the one in Calif ha ha. Yeh now that the war is over with here in Europe, I can tell you where I’m at. I’m in the town where Hitler use to live before he died. It is a big name. Berchtesgaden. It’s close to the border of Austria. It sure is a pretty place. I don’t see why these people wanted war. They got all they want here. Nice pretty country and all they want to eat. They’re all nice and fat too.

*Next page*

Not like the people in France. Yeh we went to Austria for ten days to guard the 15 (?) General, he has 3 stars. The name of the town was Salzburg, it’s about 20 miles from here. So Alfred Pom doesn’t like the army huh, that’s just too bad. Ha ha. If you write to him tell him hello for me will you mom. Yeh and send me his address. I haven’t heard from Joe Kailer in a long time, how about getting his address for me too. Or is he still in the hosp.

*Next page *

What’s the old man doing, nothing I suppose ha ha. Has he got the ford working yet or is it in the junk pile. Yeh I’ll bet the dog is a big sprout already, does he still eat egg or has he quit. If he quitted I’ll bet I know why, the old man used a stick on him. Well mom I’ll have to close for now and don’t worry about me. Good bye and good luck from your loving son,

PFC Al

Write soon.
    Say hello to the people over around there for me…

*back of page*

and tell me if you got the $200 I sent home about 3 weeks ago. Some of these guys wife got theirs already and that (?) is taking a long time isnt(?).

I don’t know if you can make out the writing because I’m kind of sloppy ha ha. Just a poor writer.”

There were some words I couldn’t make out but I hope you enjoyed the read nonetheless.
    IMG_6734.jpeg
    IMG_6735.jpeg
    IMG_6736.jpeg
    IMG_6737.jpeg
    IMG_6738.jpeg

Slipdigit and LRusso216 like this.
  2. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Additional Info, from his return to the US in 1946

Name: Albert P Azevedo
    Departure Port: Southampton, England
    Arrival Date: 3 Jan 1946