Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 MEMORIAL COMPLEX IN KIEV

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Maksym Chornyi, May 18, 2019.

1. Maksym Chornyi

Maksym Chornyi Member

WW2 MEMORIAL COMPLEX IN KIEV

For all like-minded history admirers, who have previously paid attention to my Poland-2018 historical trip I am excited to share a new material about one of the largest WW2 memorial complexes and museum worldwide with a total collection of 400 000 exhibit units. Within this detailed material I would like to invite you to make a virtual tour along with all the main sites, museums and statues of the WW2 Memorial complex in Kiev, Ukraine, my native land. Also, I would try to fill the gap between my English-speaking readers and the names, notions, connected with the Eastern front, USSR, Ukraine, to detail into the historiography of Kiev in the Second World War.

I hope this, in some sense ‘unobvious’ Ukrainian military tour would have no fewer interest that the previous ones. I would be looking forward to your feedback and questions as it drives me to work days and weeks on every article to share with you.

KIEV WW2 MUSEUM: Memorial complex in Kiev, Ukraine

[​IMG]

Otto, lwd, gtblackwell and 1 other person like this.
  2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Maksym, Thank you for this strong post. I read the link given above and it reinforced how much I would have liked to have toured Eastern Europe and what is now Russia and Ukraine when I was able. I was only a quick tourist in St. Petersburg and Belgrade. The Memorial Complex at Kiev is most compelling from the commentary and pictures deservedly so. The majority of Westerners, in my humble view, underestimate the size, savagery, and hardship of WW2 in that region, and the vast numbers of soldiers and citizens killed, wounded or starved in said war. Those here, being well read and curious are not the norm. It is incomprehensible to me. When you realize the consequences of WW1, the Soviet Revolution, and WW2 is indeed near impossible for one to understand. So thank you for your efforts and helping me to increase my meager knowledge.

I urge everyone to read The Kiev WW2 Museum link above.

Gaines

Maksym Chornyi likes this.
  3. Maksym Chornyi

Maksym Chornyi Member

Thank you for all the words of appreciation and encouragement. I have already planned a number of WW2 travels along Ukraine as well as the foreign ones. In fact, domestic trips are more accessible and cheap in doing for obvious reasons. So I would try to combine foreign and domestic trips to share with other people and to encourage people from English-speaking countries and not only to visit Ukraine and sites, as you have said, sometimes underestimated in general understanding of the WW2.