Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 posters

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by childe00, Aug 5, 2014.

1. childe00

childe00 New Member

Hey friends. Any tell-tale signs that a poster is fake? I was hoping to ge ta few on eBay, and, besides going through the sellers rating I just wanted to see if there were any indicators that would let me know.

Would I be able to tell by the yellowing of the paper or the feel of it? I am talking about USA posters.

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

It takes a knowledgeable person , that has seen and handled many, to determine if a poster is a fake in many cases. Modern printing techniques, aging paper all make it harder. The value range in an indicator. The more expensive the greater incentive. WW2 posters are a sub-set of posters in general. Some are reproduced with no intention of selling them as fakes. Buyers can try aging them after purchase . The old rule of buying from a reputable source is complicated by the Internet.

Is there a document forum or a dealer where you live ? Remember many posters were not intended to have long lives . My former university had a nice collection of WW2 posters that were kept in acid free sleeves. you had to wear latex gloves to examine them. The paper indeed had browned at the edges and was quite fragile. That can be age, poor storage, poor originals or genuine age.

There is an old joke, " Of the 5000 original Paul Klee prints 10,000 are in Texas alone" ! Poster are mass produced by offset printing, in pervious days, and many originals were made, a good number survive, a good number are reproduced and a fair number "aged" Be careful if the price is for a WW2 original.....you obviously already know this, but buying off EBay is pretty scary for antique and semi-antiques. I would see if they had a brick and mortar presence.

That being said, there are some real ones rolled up in tubes in attics !!! I would spend some time learning about them before paying a high price for an original but it would be a wonderful hobby. Try and find someone already involved to learn from and with.

Gaines

3. childe00

childe00 New Member

Thanks for the lengthy response. The dealer I found seems reputable, I will have to do some more research. I may have to dig up someone in my town who would know something about it.

On eBay they range all over the place. I seen most from about 50-200. I don't know which ones are rare of if a specific artist did this or that one. I just enjoy the caricatures and catch phrases of the time.

If I did get one I think I would have to get it framed and that is another cost I would have to consider.

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I have to agree with GT. Ebay, although I have used them on numerous occasions, actually just bought something last week :), many WWII militaria/memorabilia are easily authenticated just on photos and limited research. However, propaganda posters are a slippery slope. Make sure the dealer is reputable and inquire from former buyers. Research alone along with the images would 't help you. Ebay can be a wonderful tool for collectors such as yourself, but when dealing with documents you may get burned.

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I think it would be a terrific hobby combining art work and an interest in WW2. I use to spend hours looking at them but know little specificly. I would look on Amazon or the Internet for books on collecting them.

When you find a true original have it museum mounted, acid free materials, will help preserve the now old paper.

When you score one please post it here!!

Best of luck to you,

Gaines

6. childe00

childe00 New Member

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I would echo all of the above. Make sure the seller or dealer has a money back guaranty with respect to the authenticity. A reputable one will have no problem with that. Then, when you get the item, find someone local who can confirm it's authenticity.

8. childe00

childe00 New Member

9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Looks like a good piece. Time to authenticate :).

10. childe00

childe00 New Member

And find a frame :stabfrenzy: