Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Rations - A work in progress timeline of my collection

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Quick Bricks, Nov 4, 2019.

?

Do you own or want any WW2 rations?

1. Yes, I own a single ration from WW2

25.0%
  2. Yes, I own multiple ww2 ration items

25.0%
  3. I don't currently own, but I want to start a WW2 ration collection some day!

25.0%
  4. I am not into owning or collecting WW2 rations, but thanks for sharing!

25.0%
  1. Quick Bricks

Quick Bricks New Member

It is 2019 and I am starting to document my WW2 collection of rations.

I hope you all enjoy these rations as I love them!

- For those who may be interested I am not looking to sell any of these rations for a long time, if ever. This is a true collection
    and will be added to and maintained for all to enjoy through documentation online here and on my HubPages website!

My current ration list for WW2 is as follows:

(1) U. S. Army Field Ration C - B Unit - George Weston Limited Salamanca N.Y.
    (This is my oldest WW2 ration currently. The key is still attached and there are no holes in the can.) Sept. 1941
    (This was produced in anticipation of the U.S. entering WW2. This was produced just 3 months prior to the U.S. entering)
    c ration 1941 ww2.jpg

(1) U.S. Army Field Ration K - Breakfast Unit - American Chicle Company Long Island City, New York
    (This is my oldest boxed style ration from WW2. The condition feels as if the contents may be in not so presentable
    condition, but the box is still wrapped properly in it's wax coated kraft paper wrap. This is a first edition Ration K box from late 1942 with no other writing but packer and ration type/meal printed.)
    u.s. army field ration k ww2 1942 breakfast.jpg

The following 3 rations are from may 1944 (or later) and are the morale boxes designed to boost soldier
    morale as the rations at this point were old and tiresome. They introduced colorful boxes with eye catching designs.

(1) Breakfast Ration Type K - Patten Food Products - Chattanooga, Tenn.
    (This was already opened when received, missing key) May 1944
    ration ww2 type k 1943 breakfast.jpg
    Breakfast Unit contents - complete except no key for the ham and eggs
    ration ww2 type k 1943 breakfast contents.jpg
    Ham and Eggs
    ration ww2 type k 1943 breakfast contents ham and eggs can.jpg
    Contents pack (was opened by previous owner, included outer cello wrapper not pictured)

(1) Dinner Ration Type K - Philips Packing Company, Inc. Cambridge, Md.
    (This is sealed in a thick wax coating inside the outer box. Contents feel intact although can is likely rusted) May 1944
    ration ww2 type k 1943 dinner.jpg

(1) Supper Ration Type K - The Hills Bros Co. New York City, N. Y.
    (This feels really solid and is still inside it's double dipped wax interior box. Can feels as if it is intact and heavy) May 1944
    ration ww2 type k 1943 supper.jpg

My current 2019 WW2 rations
    WW2 rations 1a_reduced.jpg
    WW2 rations 1b_reduced.jpg
    WW2 rations 2a_reduced.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

[​IMG]
    Australian rations - Not my collection

Quick Bricks likes this.
  3. Quick Bricks

Quick Bricks New Member

Very cool! I really like seeing how other countries have their rations. I immediately notice that Australian rations seem much closer
    to home style products than the US rations do. It seems just the package labels are generic but actual full sized real products.

Thanks for sharing!

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yep...spot on. So home style you should google "ANZAC biscuits" - made to last the sea journey and eaten to this day,

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'm sure that's a variation of hardtack. There's a brand called "Sailor Boy" Pilot Bread (hardtack) that is sold in every store in Alaska. It dates back to when you couldn't get fresh bread (you still can't in remote villages much of the year), and people are just used to it as a comfort food. It's like a giant saltine, without the salt, only chewier. I found it kind of awful, but people who grew up on it, love it.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Good guess but no...

Hardtack[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ANZAC biscuits...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ANZACs are still sent to soldiers serving O/S but have mostly been replaced with this little beauty...
    [​IMG]
    TIMTAMS!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  7. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Seeing that delicious fare temps me to go off my diabetic diet!!!!! A man could lose weight eating some of that.

CAC likes this.
  8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That looks like something Grandma would bake.

9. Quick Bricks

Quick Bricks New Member

I remember cookies my mom used to make that were real close to those ANZAC biscuits! I never knew the history until you showed me. Thanks!

10. Quick Bricks

Quick Bricks New Member

My brother and his wife live in Australia and brought me TimTams before. They're great. I don't understand why we don't have
    Aus products like these in grocery stores more. They had other products too like flavored tuna. Yea, maybe gross to some but I actually enjoyed all the flavors!

CAC likes this.