Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII and Guatemala?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by ChipperT, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ChipperT

ChipperT New Member

My father joined the Army in January of 1941. Not much is known (by me) of his military service from then until he joined the 65th Infantry Division, 259th Infantry Battalion at Camp Shelby, Mississippi in 1944 in preparation to heading to France to breach the Siegfried Line and advance through the SAAR valley in the final days of the War.

My mother, when she was alive, insisted that my father fought in Guatemala while in the Army and contracted malaria there. I can find nothing about any Army presence in Guatemala from 1941 to 1944. Any information or leads would be most welcome.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

that does sound strange

3. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

It doesn't look like their was much of an army presence by the US at all during the war.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

5. ChipperT

ChipperT New Member

I know that the 65th Infantry Battalion (not Division) was deployed to protect the Panama Canal before and during the war since most of Latin America, especially dictator Jorge Ubico of Guatemala, were admirers of Hitler and most had trade agreements with Nazi Germany. But the 65th Battalion was exclusively made up of Puerto Ricans. My father was from West Virginia. And the 65th does not seem to have been deployed anywhere else in Latin America.

6. ChipperT

ChipperT New Member

I suppose it is possible that he was with the Army Air Corp but as far as I know he was never anything but Infantry.

7. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

.a lot of times the main unit sends detachments to out of the way areas, and these very small detachments don't get mentioned in history...''fought'', though?? against rebels? ..joined army Jan. 1941 then joined the 65th 1944?? ??.Chip, usually you initially ''join'' the service once....then, usually, you might be transferred to another unit,,,...,hard to imagine he went from AAF to infantry???..nice link, Russo...very interesting to me ..thanks for putting it up

8. ChipperT

ChipperT New Member

When I say "joined" the 65th Infantry Division in 1944, I assume he was transferred from another Divsion to that one. As for Guatemala, my mother always said he "fought" in the jungles there. I have no idea. Her recollection of what my dad told her could be way off.

9. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes, my dad is starting to forget times and places of Korea...still interesting...thanks for posting

10. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Here is a link that may help a little. If not it's an interesting read :) Remember the Air Corps was a part of the Army and where there were planes there were Soldiers. Keep us posted as you find things. Very interesting.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/Guard-US/ch13.htm

A week after the attack the American Charg� d'Affaires at Guatemala City transmitted to the Guatemalan Foreign Minister a note requesting permission for American military planes to fly over and land on Guatemalan territory without formal notification through diplomatic channels, to make whatever photographs might be necessary for tactical or navigational purposes, and to make use of Guatemalan airports and their facilities. Permission was also sought to station a bombardment squadron of 700 men and 10 planes at San Jose and small service detachments at both fields. On 16 December, the day following the receipt of the American request, the Guatemalan Government signified its consent, and on 25 December General Andrews notified GHQ that six B-18's were operating out of Guatemala City, which had been chosen for the main base. The bulk of the force, including a reinforced infantry platoon, arrived in Guatemala on 7 January 1942 and brought the strength up to about 425 officers and men.44
    [343]

ChipperT and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Nice info, Biak. Looks like a bit of digging is in order.

12. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

That is interesting Biak! I never knew that about Guatemala or the canal zone. Thank you for sharing. :)

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

It may be worth reading the entirety of the above article and following up on the source cited by endnote #44. You may be able to find something indicating from which unit the reinforced infantry platoon was pulled.

14. ChipperT

ChipperT New Member

Wow, thanks Biak! That's really, really interesting. I'll do some more reading on this!

15. ChipperT

ChipperT New Member

The 74th (Bombardment (Heavy)) was deployed at Aguadulce at the outbreak of hostilities on December 7, and had 288 personnel and five B-18 aircraft assigned. It was recalled to Rio Hato on December 11, moving non-flying personnel by motor convoys, and utilizing available tactical aircraft to move tactically essential personnel. The 74th Bombardment Squadron moved from Rio Hato to Guatemala City, on December 23. A detachment of 76 officers and enlisted men departed from the operationally combined 3rd, 25th, and 74th Bombardment Squadrons for Guatemala on December 19, via tactical and Service Command aircraft. The balance of the 74th air echelon, consisting of 35 officers and enlisted men, departed by air for Guatemala in tactical aircraft on December 23. The remainder of the 74th left by water transportation for Guatemala in a troop movement of five officers and 200 enlisted men, arriving around January 1, 1942. The 74th had 278 personnel and seven two-engine B-18 aircraft assigned on December 31
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/74th_Bombardment_Squadron

16. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

what was so strategic there?

17. Carronade

Carronade Ace

The B-18 - bomber derivative of the DC-2 airliner - did most of its war service on coastal antisubmarine patrols, including sinking a U-boat or two. I expect they were in Guatemala to cover the Pacific approaches to the Panama Canal. Looking at the map, shipping from the canal to/from the West Coast or Hawaii wouldn't be too far offshore at that point.

In the aftermath of Pearl Harbor, they were probably trying to cover every possibility. The Japanese did have submarines that could reach Central America from their bases in the Marshalls.

18. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes, sounds logical...that subject/area too popular in WW2