Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Book.

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by KevChek, Mar 4, 2009.

1. KevChek

KevChek Member

Hello, as you might have read my introduction..My name is Kevin. And I'm 14. I know it might sound like I'm too young, but I'm writing a book on a single soldier and his journey through Boot Camp onto the war itself. Now, I'm having a little trouble understanding how life was in Boot Camp, considering that I haven't even been near one yet. I was just wondering if and WWII Veterans can tell me what it was like. I've tried doing research on Google and stuff, but all it did was find me this lovely website. Uhm, so yeah, if anyone would like to participate, just message me or reply to this thread. Basically this is what's going to happen if you want to help me. I will interview you on your experience. And if you feel uncomfortable with the questions I'm going to ask you, just say so. And if you give me some information, I'll put you in the credits of my book once it's published.
    Thanks a lot,
    -Kevin.

2. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

I'd suggest finding a few good books which cover it, for example the first three or four chapters of the rather good Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose is all about training. I think that might prove more productive much quicker than trying to find vets.

pip pip

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

4. KevChek

KevChek Member

Well, I'd rather get my own facts. You know what I mean? I wouldn't feel like I wrote what I wrote if I got it from another book. It's hard to explain. I just feel like if I got information from a Vet, it would help me understand more.

And also Slip, thank you for this link. I was not aware that there was such a section on the site.
    Thanks,
    -Kevin.

5. dusky

dusky Member

Band of Brothers
    Citizen Soldiers
    Soldier Boy

Currahee
    All Is Quiet On The Western Front (even though it's not WW2 it's still a good account)
    Blood Red Snow
    War-A Soldier's Diary
    No One Ever Asked Me
    Yank
    The Forgotten Soldier
    Company Commander
    Ghost Soldiers

That should keep you busy :D

(All first-hand accounts or written using them)

6. tech6949

tech6949 Member

If you are after first hand accounts of basic training probably the best best is to contact your local legion and explain your situation.Another good bet is to go to your local retirement homes and post a notice. My own basic training was in peacetime (69) so I would not be much help to you in that respect, but hopefully you can find someone in one of the two mentioned places.

sturmtiger likes this.
  7. sturmtiger

sturmtiger Member

Brothers in battle,best of friends