Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII British Tacsigns

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Obergefreiter, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Obergefreiter

Obergefreiter Member

Howdy!
    Does anyone know a publication about British tactical signs of WWII? Or a website where I could find further information? You know, those esoteric red, green or multi-colored squares with white numbers! For the campaign in NW Europe, I've found the table of organisation of an Armoured Division in an Osprey book and that of an Infantry Division in a French publication. But what about North Africa, Italy and the Far East?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Obergefreiter

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Hello there,
    Esoteric is the word... Still confuse the hell out of me.
    I may be out of order here (I do sort of hesitate to plug the place here too much given my own association), but your query is right up the street of a lot of the chaps on sister site WW2Talk.
    Many of 'em could bore for England on such markings (And would probably be quite proud I said that... It is a compliment...).

Failing that, Jean Bouchery's 2 volume 'The British Soldier' is very good on post-Normandy markings (Might be the 'French Publication' you refer to, as it's from H&C).

~A

3. Obergefreiter

Obergefreiter Member

Hello Von Poop,
    Thank You for Your advice. I'll try to ask around on this British site.
    By the way, the French publication I referred to is a volume from the Armes Militaria magazine from H&C. It covers the fighting in the Scheldt Estuary in late 1944.
    Greetings from Germany,
    Obergefreiter

4. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

I have a good book on that somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and put some stuff up.

5. Obergefreiter

Obergefreiter Member

Hello again Von Poop,

following Your advice, I registered on the British WW2Talk site. The British cousins have been very very kind and helpful and recommended the Warpaint book series by author Dick Taylor: similar to the Panzer Colours series by Squadron Publications, but far more elaborate and comprehensive. I've found there all the information I wanted - and even some information I didn't even expect to find anywhere.

Greetings from Germany,
    Obergefreiter