Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Film Bonanza!

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Otto, Nov 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Lupo Solitario's post got me on an upcoming WWII film kick. Here's what I found, (in alphabetical order). All information was found at Yahoo Movies; http://movies.yahoo.com/

Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary (2003)
    Premise: This documentary presents 90 minutes of interview footage (edited down from more than ten hours) with Traudl Junge (1920-2002), who from 1942 to 1945 was one of three personal secretaries of Adolph Hitler, whom she describes as a "pleasant boss and fatherly friend". Ms. Junge describes first-hand experiences of what life was like within the most inner circles of the Third Reich, including those chilling last days for Hitler, Goebbels and Eva Braun in the bunker, where she transcribed Hitler's last will and testament before he and the others committed suicide.

Flying Tigers (2003?)
    Formed several months before Pearl Harbor, the American Volunteer Group, sponsored by the U.S. government, were a band of pilots (P-40's), and crew, who helped the Chinese fight the Japanese invasion in 1941. Just a few months later, Japan struck. Disbanding in 1942, the AVG became the 14th Air Force of the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Glorious Bastards (2004)
    The exact details of the plot aren't yet (9/7/01) know, but QT describes this as being a "guys-on-a-mission" World War II war movie, about U.S. soldiers taking on the Nazi's. Tarantino also told AICN that the group is made up of men who are about to be executed, but are offered a chance at reprieve.

The Great Raid (2003)
    Forced to retreat from the Philippines, General Douglas MacArthur promised to return. Set three years later, in January, 1945, this is the true story of Army ranger Lt. Colonel Henry Mucci (Bratt), who was chosen by MacArthur to lead an effort to liberate more than 500 American prisoners of war from the Japanese camp, Cabanatuan, part of the bloody and infamous Bataan Death March. The young colonel, eager to take on this mission first, however, had to undergo a vigorous guerrilla warfare training program, before leading his men, the 6th Ranger Battallion, on a hazardous rescue mission, thirty miles behind enemy lines, that they were not guaranteed to return from... (Csokas plays a starving prisoner of war; Fiennes plays the highest-ranking P.O.W.; Nielsen plays a nurse.)

The Long Green Shore (2004)
    Set in mid-1945 after V-E Day, but before the fall of Japan, this is the story of an Australian battalion sent to New Guinea to force the beleaguered Japanese to retreat. What they find when they arrive is a land covered with the corpses of Americans and Japanese soldiers from previous battles and starving and pitiful Japanese soldiers who regardless continue to fight to the bloody end, forcing some of the Australian soldiers to ponder the meaning (or meaninglessness) of war... (sounding a bit like an Australian take on The Thin Red Line, complete with narration and meditative philosophical prose).

Night Witches(2002?)
    Production had been scheduled to start in Russia in October, 2001, on a budget of $20 million. Post-production will be done in Canada, but it appears that it's been delayed (11/7/01), possibly to later this fall or sometime in early 2002? (11/30/01) The director's official site confirms the new production start date as early 2002. (4/5/02) Well, early 2002 is just about over, and Siddig hasn't updated his site about this since November, so there really is no word now about where this is.

Safe Conduct (2002)
    This epic film tells the true story of French filmmakers living in Paris in WWII (1942-1943, specifically) during the German occupation, focusing on two separate people and those around them: Jean Devaivre (Gamblin), an assistant director with a family and Jean Aurenche (Podalydes), a womanizing and free-thinking screenwriter. As can be expected in a tale of wartime occupation, there is a rift between those who collaborate with the German production companies looking to mine French talent, and those who strive to find their own ways to rebel, and to survive. This film is also noteworthy in its massive 120+ character cast which includes many French cinema historical figures, for die-hard cineastes out there to identify.

Taking Sides (2003)
    Set shortly after World War II in Berlin, this is the story of an American officer's (Keitel) prosecution of German conductor Wilhelm Furtwängler (Skarsgard) as part of the Allied Forces' de-Nazification trials. As the investigation progresses, the American, wanting to convict a man he sees as a Jew-killing Nazi is brought face-to-face into conflict with a man consumed entirely by his art, not politics.

To End All Wars (2003)
    This is the true story of four Allied POW's forced by their Japanese captors to build the infamous "Death Railway" through the jungles of Thailand. One of them, Ernest Gordon (McMenamin), forms a secret college in the camp's morgue as a refuge from their torment... (there's a much more detailed synopsis at the official site)

To the White Sea (2002?)
    An American WWII tail gunner, Muldrow (Brad Pitt), stranded when he parachutes from his burning B-29 over Tokyo, must use the violent skills he learned as an Alaskan hunter to journey north through Japan to the island of Hokkaido, and from there, perhaps, home to Alaska...

Crapgame adds: To the White Sea is based on a novel by James Dickey, who served in the Army Air Corps in the Pacific during World War 2. Dickey also wrote the novel Deliverance, which inspired the film of the same name which starred Jon Voight and Burt Reynolds.
    To The White Sea @ Amazon.com

Who Goes There? (2002?)
    Set in WWII, this is the true story of a friendship that emerges when a U-boat accidentally lands its crew near a Welsh seaside village. A local boy (Bell) befriends a young German sailor, but their patriotic loyalties may be stronger...

[ 17. December 2002, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Otto ]

2. Otto

And here is Crapgame's List of WWII Films. This was posted on a webpage before, but I decided to post it on the Forums. Here we can all add more and flesh out the list. AND most films are linked to their synopses over at the Internet Movie DataBase. Thanks Crapgame, nice work!

Air War

Memphis Belle [1990]

Tuskegee Airmen, The [1995] (TV)

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo [1944]

Alternate Histories

Fatherland [1994] (TV)

Final Countdown, The [1980]

Epics

Patton [1970]

Big Red One, The [1980]

Best Years of Our Lives, The [1946]

Fantasies

Raiders of the Lost Ark [1981]

Incredible Mr. Limpet, The [1964]

Rocketeer, The [1991]

Bedknobs and Broomsticks [1971]

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [1989]

Sole Survivor [1970]

Holocaust

Conspiracy [2001] (TV)

Triumph of the Spirit [1989]

Nasty Girl [1990]

Europa [1991]

Music Box [1989]

Schindler's List [1993]

Escape from Sobibor [1987] (TV)

Judgment at Nuremburg [1961]

Wannseekonferenz [1984]

Au Revoir Les Enfants [1987]

Jakob the Liar [1999]

Vita è bella, La (Life is Beautiful) [1997]

The Home Front

My Dog Skip [2000]

Swing Kids [1993]

North Africa

Sahara [1943]

Desert Rats, The [1953]

Desert Fox, The [1951]

Play Dirty [1968]

Five Graves to Cairo [1943]

The Pacific War

MacArthur [1977]

1941 [1979]

Last Emperor, The [1987]

Wake Island [1942]

Sands of Iwo Jima, The [1949]

Merril's Marauders [1962]

Story of Dr. Wassell, The [1944]

Fighting Seabees, The [1944]

Heaven Knows Mr. Allison [1957]

From Here to Eternity [1953]

Thin Red Line, The [1964]

Thin Red Line, The [1998]

POWs

Von Ryans Express [1965]

Summer of My German Soldier, The [1978] (TV)

Empire of the Sun [1987]

Victory [1981]

King Rat [1965]

Stalag 17 [1953]

Great Escape, The [1963]

Hill, The [1965]

Bridge Over the River Kwai [1957]

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence [1983]

Situation Hopeless... But Not Serious [1965]

Secret Wars

Decision Before Dawn [1951]

Shining Through [1992]

Saboteur [1942]

Soldaat van Oranje aka. Soldier of Orange [1977]

Casablanca [1942]

Operation Daybreak [1976]

Where Eagles Dare [1968]

Eagle Has Landed, The [1976]

Dirty Dozen, The [1967]

Guns of Navarone, The [1961]

Force 10 from Navarone [1978]

Heroes of Telemark, The [1965]

Tobruk [1967]

Thrillers

Odessa File, The [1974]

Boys From Brazil, The [1978]

Marathon Man, The [1976]

Night of the Generals, The [1966]

War at Sea

Lifeboat [1944]

Sullivans, The [1944]

Sink the Bismark! [1960]

Ensign Pulver [1964]

Caine Mutiny, The [1954]

Away All Boats [1956]

Das Boot [1981]

U-571 [2000]

Run Silent, Run Deep [1958]

Action in the North Atlantic [1943]

PT-109 [1963]

Forty-Ninth Parallel (aka The Invaders) [1941]

Enemy Below, The [1957]

Mister Roberts [1955]

Midway [1976]

Murphy's War [1971]

Tora, Tora, Tora [1970]

The War in the East

Cross of Iron [1977]

Enemy at the Gates [2001]

Stalingrad [1993]

The War in the West

Battle of the Bulge, The [1965]

Devil's Brigade, The [1968]

Longest Day, The [1962]

Saving Private Ryan [1998]

Victors, The [1963]

Execution of Private Slovik, The [1974] (TV)

Young Lions, The [1958]

A Bridge Too Far [1977]

To Hell and Back [1955]

Hell is for Heroes [1962]

Bridge at Remagen, The [1969]

Midnight Clear, A [1992]

When Trumpets Fade [1998]

[ 06. January 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Otto ]

3. Sniper

Sniper Member

I can add a couple to that list.

How about "It happened here"

A British film made in 1966. It's the story of a German occupied Britain, and the local resistance movement. Can't remember much more than that.

And then there's "The Bridge"

This was a German made film (1959) about a group of teenagers, led by a old sergeant, in the German Army who are sent to guard a bridge of no strategic importance, in 1945. The sergeant goes to find ammo and is picked up as a deserter, leaving the boys to guard the bridge on their own.

Haven't seen either of these in a long, long time.

Uncommon valor was a common virtue - Admiral Chester Nimitz, after the capture of Iwo Jima

4. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

To the White Sea is based on a novel by James Dickey, who served in the Army Air Corps in the Pacific during World War 2. Dickey also wrote the novel Deliverance, which inspired the film of the same name which starred Jon Voight and Burt Reynolds.

[ 12. October 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

5. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

6. Otto

*bump*

Crapgame, I added you information to the master list, so I thought I bump this thread to the top. I also added your comments on To The White Sea to the Upcoming films list.

This is probably one of my favourite threads on the forums right now. :D This one and "sappers tale" as well. ;)

7. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

Thank you Otto

[ 12. October 2003, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

8. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

Thanks Otto and Crapgame for the list of sites.

9. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Sniper, The Bridge, was one I mentioned a while ago on another topic..I think this is one of my faves. Got a copy on order from Choices video in the UK. Been waiting few weeks, but they are certain they can get me a copy.

Good movie.

10. No.9

No.9 Ace

Great , great pity the film makers continue to ignor the great Los Banos raid.

The Los Banos Raid

No.9

11. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

*bump*

12. FramerT

FramerT Ace

The History channel had a 2 hour program on the Los Ramos raid last night NO.9. [​IMG]

13. No.9

No.9 Ace

'Los Ramos' raid, what's that then? I can't even find a mention of it on the web?

No.9

14. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

He means Los Baños Raid. It is just a typo. I saw that program on the History Channel about it. It is called "Rescue at Dawn: The Los Banos Raid". It was pretty good.

15. tterb

tterb recruit

Don't forget Saints and Soldiers.

16. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

I just got a chance to see Saints and Soldiers. It was, in my opinion, very good. Although, it wasn't as good as some of the newer WWII films like Band of Brothers. I especially liked the ending.

17. scarface

scarface Member

A great old thread that deserves a 'bump'.

-whatever

-Lou