Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII German leather Strap w/ buckle

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Olive drab, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Olive drab

Olive drab Member

I have another weird thing, once again it has characterisitcs of WWII German manufacture (dark leather and the buckles have "X", just like some German bayonet hangers). This reminds me of a canteen strap but it isnt. It came on a WWII US dispatch case, so maybe it was a souvineur?

Help please!

[​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Can you please show a picture of the hangers? This does look like its German. I used to have an Army Dagger w/ white handle-and the dagger hangers that came with it. I don't actively collect edged weapons and accessories and traded these items off long ago. I do still have a few Bayonets including a K-98 with matching serial Nr on both blade and scabbard-with about 99% of it's bluing intact.

The hangers don't look like they are made od Silver Nickle and are also not "pebbeled". These look like stainless steel. This might not be a dagger hanger but one for a Sword. Just a wild guess?

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

the clips are German and could come from a canteen and adapted to a longer strap. Your clip seems to be similar to the one on the right.

[​IMG]

ps: similar clips were used by the swedes.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The clips do look to be the same. I never thought to loo at Canteens for clips but these shown on the ones you posted-sure indeed do look like the same used on Dagger hangers.