Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII in 1:2400

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by SymphonicPoet, Oct 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I've been modeling WWII ships and aircraft for a long time. I've been playing miniatures wargames almost as long. So why did it take me so long to advance past the 1:48 aircraft on a five fingered skyhook and spitty machine gun sounds stage? No idea. But I finally got there.

About two years ago I started collecting 1:2400 ships. Mostly Pacific, mostly early war. (Every now and then one needs Ark Royal, Essex, New Jersey, or Tirpitz. Oh, and hey, them there Italian boats look kinda neat too.) I've been thinking of showing them off on the forums for a while, but being a shy dork I've procrastinated for two reasons. I'm cheap, so mostly I buy Panzerschiffe, which seem embarrassingly crude sometimes (but they play great, just for the record) and I've not quite figured out how to take pictures to my satisfaction.

But all my gamer friends seem unduly impressed, so I thought I'd stick them up here. They're still almost all Panzerschiffe. I have a few C in C models now, and one scratch built jeep. (Long Island. Nobody at all seems to make a model. I remedied the problem.)

I had been cooking up a long post about converting a Panzerschiffe Glorious V-010 into something a little closer to Courageous at the outbreak of the war, but I'm away from that computer and your probably don't need the tedious typography anyway. The pictures are all there.

So here are my two albums:

http://www.ww2f.com/members/symphonicpoet-albums-1-2400-naval-miniatures.html

http://www.ww2f.com/members/symphonicpoet-albums-projects.html

Start at the back end and work your way forward. (I can't figure out how to rearrange them without deleting and starting over.)

And if you want the detailed description of how I took the Panzerschiffe V-010 and made it into the stunning masterpiece you see there (not) I'll gladly edit and post it.

Otherwise, expect me to post new pictures from time to time as I manage to photograph older models or build new ones. (I expect I'll rotate stock through the two albums I've created, unless someone else has a better idea.) Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,
    DavidI've been modeling WWII ships and aircraft for a long time. I've been playing miniatures wargames almost as long. So why did it take me so long to advance past the 1:48 aircraft on a five fingered skyhook and spitty machine gun sounds stage? No idea. But I finally got there.

About two years ago I started collecting 1:2400 ships. Mostly Pacific, mostly early war. (Every now and then one needs Ark Royal, Essex, New Jersey, or Tirpitz. Oh, and hey, them there Italian boats look kinda neat too.) I've been thinking of showing them off on the forums for a while, but being a shy dork I've procrastinated for two reasons. I'm cheap, so mostly I buy Panzerschiffe, which seem embarrassingly crude sometimes (but they play great, just for the record) and I've not quite figured out how to take pictures to my satisfaction.

But all my gamer friends seem unduly impressed, so I thought I'd stick them up here. They're still almost all Panzerschiffe. I have a few C in C models now, and one scratch built jeep. (Long Island. Nobody at all seems to make a model. I remedied the problem.)

I had been cooking up a long post about converting a Panzerschiffe Glorious V-010 into something a little closer to Courageous at the outbreak of the war, but I'm away from that computer and your probably don't need the tedious typography anyway. The pictures are all there.

So here are my two albums:

http://www.ww2f.com/members/symphonicpoet-albums-1-2400-naval-miniatures.html

http://www.ww2f.com/members/symphonicpoet-albums-projects.html

Start at the back end and work your way forward. (I can't figure out how to rearrange them without deleting and starting over.)

And if you want the detailed description of how I took the Panzerschiffe V-010 and made it into the stunning masterpiece you see there (not) I'll gladly edit and post it.

Otherwise, expect me to post new pictures from time to time as I manage to photograph older models or build new ones. (I expect I'll rotate stock through the two albums I've created, unless someone else has a better idea.) Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,
    David

Gebirgsjaeger and sniper1946 like this.
  2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Impressive dioramas..very good david..

3. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

They're actually just gaming miniatures, believe it or not. With a blue sheet, a handful of shoplights, a cheap convenience camera, and a little bit of photoshop trickery. Not really permanent dioramas. All very temporary. All very thrown together. (Save for the ships. I spend a lot of time on those, even if the photographs don't always show it. But then I am absolutely sure that photographing miniatures is it's very own very special very arcane art. That I don't as yet know.)

In any case, thank you very much.

To everyone else, I'm happy for suggestions. Saw an article on a homemade light booth recently. Need to try that.

4. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Dude, I like your ships! Keep up the good work!

5. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I surely will. They're tons of fun. And the cutting and carving plastic/wood/cardboard business makes it even more fun, in a way.