Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Japanese Uniforms - use of zippers

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by lakefan, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lakefan

lakefan New Member

I trying to find out whether or not zippers were used in Japanese uniforms during WWII, specifically in the Japanese occupied Philippines.

I've found some information that they were used in flight suits, but I need to know whether zippers were used in jackets & trousers. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The navy used zippers for their pilots (not the airforce uniforms).

[​IMG]

3. lakefan

lakefan New Member

Thanks, Skipper, for the information. Appreciate it. Do you happen to know if they used them on uniforms for soldiers on the ground?

4. lwd

lwd Ace

I am far from an expert and Skipper can probably give you a much more definitive answer but I seam to recall reading that it was IJN aircrews only that used zippers. The IJA and the IJN did share very well and often something used in one wasn't used in the other. Belt fed machine guns come to mind as well as the zippers. You might try googleing images for IJ uniforms but it may not be trivial to tell about the zippers.

5. lakefan

lakefan New Member

I didn't know that about the IJA and IJN. Appreciate the information. I did search through some images, but had trouble finding specifics. I'll keep researching. Thanks, lwd!

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm. what IWD explains in a more technical way is what I said in my first post. The regular airforce did not use zippers, but the navy did . As to ground troops , Iwould have to find out. You could foucuss on drill suits for example.

7. lakefan

lakefan New Member

I searched through images of IJA uniforms and this time was able to find photos of trousers and shorts that had wooden buttons. Your insights were very helpful. I really appreciate your help, Skipper and IWD. Thanks so much! Merry Christmas!

8. RRA227

RRA227 Member

My uniform coats have buttons. Rich A. in Pa.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad I could help, Merry Christmas to you too.