Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Maps

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by WorldWar2Historian, May 16, 2015.

1. WorldWar2Historian

WorldWar2Historian New Member

I've been a massive History Buff for as long as I can remember, but WWII history has always fascinated me the most. Recently I was reading The Second World War by Antony Beevor (great book -- highly recommend) and noticed a serious deficiency in the number and quality of maps in WWII history books. Because of this I made an iphone app with a huge collection of West Point military WWII maps. Its really helped follow WWII history books better.

You can check out the app here: https://appsto.re/us/x4Mk7.i

The app is titled "WWII Maps"

Here are some screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You can zoom in, pan, and stuff. Over 100 maps and 20 photographs. Honestly, I love it (and spent a ton of time making and organizing it :)) and I think a lot of you guys will enjoy it as well, so I figured I would post this here. Anyways, if any of you do end up getting the app, please feel free to give me some feedback (or possibly even more map addition suggestions) as I really want to make this app as useful as possible for WWII history lovers. Thanks.

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I don't have an iphone. Are you planning on having this app at GooglePlay?

3. WorldWar2Historian

I am thinking about it, but I currently only have an apple developer's license and would need to purchase a developer's license from google in-order to code it. Also I would have to look into transferring Swift code into whatever language Google Play uses. I am currently looking into making an ipad version though because I feel like the bigger screen size would help for viewing the maps. Any general thoughts or suggestions for future versions? I really am trying to make this an amazing WWII reference app

4. LRusso216

I like the idea of the larger format. Unfortunately I don't own any Apple products so it's hard to give any advice about future versions.

5. WorldWar2Historian

Ahh man, thats a shame. Well i'll inform you if I do ever end up making a Google Play version

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm all over this if you make an android version. The dearth of maps in books about the war is quite annoying, says the person who only put two super simple and lame maps in his book...

7. WorldWar2Historian

Haha, yeah thats why I decided to make the app. Antony Beevor just has so few maps in his book (Keegan is usually pretty good though in this front). I'm going to look into making versions for other devices. I only have an iphone -- and primarily made the app for my own personal usage to be honest :) -- so I'm a little bit behind on getting it onto other devices.

8. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I keep a set of the West Point maps in my, ahem, "library". Bit awkward at times. Get this going on a 'droid and I'm in.

10. Takao

Takao Ace

iTunes is a media player, and NOT an iOS emulator! Do not download iTunes for a Windows PC and expect it to run iPhone/iPad/iWhatever apps.

To run any of the iWhatever apps on a PC, you are going to need some kind of iOS emulator, such as "Smartface" or "iPadian".
    Please note: As with any emulator, there may be conflicts between the emulator and the app that you have purchased, so it may not work as advertised, so beware & do some research to make sure that any conflicts will be limited before you purchase any app for use on an iOS emulator.

11. WorldWar2Historian

Thanks for the advise, I will definitely do that.

As do I, they really are brilliant maps. I'm a bit surprised about how many people have androids, i always figured the majority of people had iphones. Next week I get off work for a bit so I'm going to look more keenly into making an android version. From what I quickly looked up, it seems possible to convert it across platforms.

Yes, I have to emphasize this point -- I don't want people wasting their time/money.

12. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member Patron  

As an Android user, I will definitely utilize this app regularly.

13. WorldWar2Historian

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only iphone user on this forum :)

14. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member Patron  

I used to be, does that count :). Once I had kids, they never could sustain the destruction. Screen always shattered.

15. WorldWar2Historian

Ha, yeah that's understandable.

16. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'll add my voice to those encouraging the development of an Android version.

BTW, I did post links to the West Point WWII map collection a while back. It's kind of hidden away in a topic on the 980th FA Bn, so I thought it might make sense to mention it here so it's easier to find.

17. WorldWar2Historian

Thank all you guys for the feedback on development for android, definitely interesting and I will look into it when I get off work next week. As for the West Point map collection, you can see the European theater here: http://www.westpoint.edu/history/SitePages/WWII%20European%20Theater.aspx
    and the pacific theater here: http://www.westpoint.edu/history/SitePages/WWII%20Asian%20Pacific%20Theater.aspx

Thanks for reminder to post that TD-Tommy776. Also a great site where I got most of my WWII photographs is here: http://ww2db.com/ (World War II Database)

You guys should definitely check out that database if you already haven't. Amazing photographs of almost every WWII event.

18. WorldWar2Historian

19. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Hey I just got a new iPhone in April ! So you aren't the only one :)

Do a search for "maps" here on ww2f and you'll find a slew of threads and quite a few links.

Here is one I put up (mainly) of the SWPA. I think some of the links may not be current. As soon as I learn this Apple iPhone I'll definitely check out your app. Shouldn't take me more than a couple of years to get the hang of it.

forgot the link;

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/27144-maps-of-the-swpa/?hl=%2Bmaps+%2Bswpa

20. LRusso216

Thanks for posting the West Point links. Tommy, I must have missed them when you posted them. They are sorely needed.