Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Medical Units 59TH MED BN & 892ND CLRNG CO

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Huntzman, May 20, 2010.

1. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

OK, I'm researching my father in laws military career. Unfortunately, his memory on specific things is very vague. Understandable give that Dad is 87. As luck would have it, NPRC says his is one of the files lost in the fire. To top it off, when he returned home from service he packed up his uniforms, medals paperwork and left it at his mothers house, whereby his sisters ultimately tossed it all :headbash:

So here I am with some paperwork he had sent my mother in law trying to piece it all together, along with some photos she still had.

So this is what I know.

Feb 1943 - Enlisted

July 43 - March 44 - 2nd Army, 59th Medical Battalion / Company "D" (KISKA)

44 - 45 - 7th Army, 892nd Clearing Company / 1st Platoon (EUROPE)

Nov 1945
    - Honorably Discharged

My question is this, are any of the members well versed in these medical units ? I am trying to figure out when the 892nd was deployed and when they arrived in theater. I have seen a photo in which he has two battle stars on his EAME and that would lead me to believe that they were for the Ardennes and Cen. Europe campaigns.

Thanks for the help,
    Andrew

2. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

3. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

Fgrun83

Thanks, I did see those sites in my research. Was hoping to find someone who might know the actual deployment date for the 892nd and when it arrived in theater. If SHAEF didn't assign them till late Jan., where were they held prior?

I do know that ultimately they moved into Bavaria and where part of the force that liberated Dachau. I do have those pics. And I have others from when he was in Munich as I recognize many of the locations.

Andrew