Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Novice needs some Help with Medal/Patch IDs/value

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by antiquesports, Aug 19, 2010.

1. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Jerry, you are 100% correct. It should be interesting to see what evidence Carl can produce from his collection to convince me otherwise.

2. VonBond

VonBond Member

Normally by now, I would just think whatever and leave it. As long as the thread starter gets the correct information, thats good. I'm sure Carl will realise his mistake sooner or later, but I am willing to be proven wrong and would then happily apologies to all concerned for my error.

Jerry

3. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Same here...correct information is what I am here to provide. Misinformation makes me want to pull what little hair out I have left!

Rich

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The 2nd cap that Collector posted IS a KM cap.

Now, As everyone here knows I dont have a camera t take pics of things with nor the knowhow to post pics, I cant prove anything using MY collection.

Now, also, most here do know I got a lot of stuff from the German vet who wore it. I have two OS caps that are KM. One was given to me by an officer who served on U-181 by the name of Dietrich Hille who was the Engineering officer on said uboat. The other was given to me by the Grandson of a KM vet who wanted me to hae his cap when he passed away. This man passed away in late 2000. I recieved his cap in the mail a few weeks later. This man did indeed serve both in the Coast Artillery as well as the Uboat service. His cap does NOT have the same colored insignia as the 1st OS cap posted. The material background is also a different an darker color of blue. Back to Herr Hille, I have his cap, and as it was a late war purchase, it does NOT follow strict military guidelines as to its make-up. That means, that his cap was NOT a standard Officers cap. When they were in I think it was Lorient? and before they went on their long patrol which ended up with them based in Singapore) Dieter told me in person that he bought his cap at the KM store there and that as they were oot of Officers OS caps, that his HAD to be one for Enlistedmen. His cap, is Enlisted but had the "uograde to Officers rank" by having a tailor at the KM store or either onboard U 181? had added the gold cord to the cap. This cap also has the Enlistedmans metal Adler as well as kokarde.

This cap definately inst regulation and it certainly was one that Dieter wore for sometime. The cap is slightly worn and the insides have lots of sweat stains as well as evident wearage to the material-which is either dark blue or black.

Now as this cap is strictly one meant for and worn at sea, and I know that im suipposed to provide somekind of proof on the other cap in question here. I am pointing out that the cap in question which is not KA, could also have a differing item sewn onto it just like the cap I was just talking about above. So for you there who think that everything was strict regulation and accodring to a few books you have as reference-who actually THINK that there are few or no differing items out there-are in for a rude awakening to that myth.

If Herr Hille were still alive? I would ask him to come her to tell you like it is.

So for the two here who are compete experts on all things WWII German, I would like you to priove what I said above is wrong as well as to what I was told be Herr Hille and as to his item. Can YOU explain it better than the man who actually bought and wore the item?

Best regards-Carl.

PS, there is no disinformation intended-just the truth.

Rich, im glad your an expert in all fields of WWII German stuff, so I can look forward to be tought more.

5. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

You are welcome Carl.....:cool:

If you would take your knickers out of their knots you would be able to see that all I did was refute what you were saying...I never took any personal shots at you and I provided photographic evidence every time that I gave my opinion...it is of no concern to me if you have the ability to photograph your collection or not...I am not here to judge anyone...I suggest you do the same. You seem to be a conservative just like me...please do not try and suppress my freedom of speech because I do not agree with you very often. I simply call things like I see them...you do happen to be right and wrong on things and I simply correct you is all...I do it to anyone on this board...why you feel it is a personal attack is beyond me.

The overall thread was to provide an accurate answer to the OP's question...Vonbond and I did that...simple as that Carl. You decided to take it in the personal direction...not me and certainly not Jerry.

Rich

C.Evans likes this.
  6. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hello Carl,
    I have never claimed to be an expert on anything, though on some things I have a certain level of knowledge which allows me to post an opinion. I only wished that the cap in question was correctly identified. I dont doubt that you have a high level of knowledge on many things which is greater than mine.

There was no intention to belittle anyone, least of all you.

Regards, Jerry

C.Evans likes this.
  7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Cheers rich, I never thought you did and I am more than greatful to have things disputed, thats another great way to learn. All im doing is pointing oou that I have, have seen and whats been told to me by the men who owned and wore these items. There are so many inconsisttancies and there is a possibility of what we both say here. The 2nd OS cap I have is French made and with French made insignia. Ive never thought about talking about it before because I know that since this item is different than the norm, I just didnt want anyone thinking its a crap item because it wasntmade from the same "mold" as most of what you see out there.

Nothing wrong taken and nothing against you meant. Also, I was up late last night getting frustrated with my old slow computer and it takes about 15 minutes before I cna get the thing to post messages--most of the time.

Take care-Carl.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Jerry. I didnt want to stir up a hornets nest with anyone either. I was just pointing out that there is a lot of stuff out there that is WWII German, which certainly wasnt regulation. I have two caps that prove the point which were given to me by two diff KM vets ;-)) If I could afford a camera (my last was left in the rain by my brother and ruined) I would gladly have pics taken and would send to Ray or Skipper or someone to post for me. Im frustrated as heck, that I cant post stuff and or prove I actually own what I claim I own. ;-))

Cheers and an electronic Cognac to you ;-))

Take care-_Carl.

9. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hi Carl,
    I agree with you that there was a lot of stuff used by the Germans during the TR period that were not according to regulations. I have seen plenty of examples from most areas of TR militaria.

Its a shame that you cant post pics, as that for me is half the joy of being on these forums. I like to offer an opinion if I can on other peoples items, but I like to do a bit of 'show & tell' of my own collection whenever I can.

All the best, Jerry

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Jerry ;-)0 and one of these days ill be able to not have to force a member here to do all the work. I was saving for a computer but thats all down the drain as mu Cat needed to get some med attention and most of that is gone but well worth it in this case ;-0)