Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Patch Identification

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Oilseed, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Oilseed

Oilseed Member

Hello,

I'm doing research on my deceased father-in-law who served in WWII.
    He was deployed to England in Aug of 1943. attached to the 25th Station Complement Squadron (not sure what Bomb gorup this SP supported, so if you have any info, please pass that along as well). He was a 1st Sargent from Aug 43 to Jun 45. He was then sent to OCS and given a
    2nd Lt commission in Apr 45. After the commission he was sent to France, Belgium and then Germany. First with the 76th Div, 304th Infantry and then finally with the 99th Div, 393rd infantry. Having aquired 93 points, he was sent home in Sept 45 and Honorably discharged in Oct 1945.

We located a steamer truck with all his records, uniforms, and other was items. Among the items was a number of patches. I'm identified mot of them, but a couple still allude me. I've attached pictures. Please let me know if you can identify these.

thanks

on the USAC patch, This is a LARGE patch. May have been a jacket patch (not a sleeve patch)

on the 2nd image, I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS IN THE CORRECT ORIENTATION ??

Attached Files:

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

the first patch is a souvenir patch
    The second my guess is that it is a Transportation Command patch.

3. Oilseed

Oilseed Member

Hi,
    thanks. Souvenir patch? They gave those out during WWII? Really?
    I've searched the web and have been unable to locate 'anything' that looks like this.
    as for the 2nd patch. Transporation COmmand. Seems to be logical. Do yo have any references to search for that?

thanks for the help.

Bill

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Here's a commemorative plaque with what seems to be the same emblem as on the left-hand patch.
    [​IMG]

U.S. Army Air Corp., Navy and Marines

It appears that the 25th Station Complement Squadron was part of the 2nd Bomb Division (January 28th saw Capt Robert A. Lip transferred to the 25th Station Complement Squadron per paragraph 4, SO #26, 2nd Bomb Division, dated 27 January 1944.)*, but I haven't figured out which wing. World War II D-Day Invasion Orders and Order of Battle of the Americans

*found this here 10th Station Complement Squadron

I'm still checking on the other patch.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

A souvenir patch would be something you bu y at either a PX or have made out in town.

I will see what I can dig up

6. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member

Do you have any photos of him near aircraft ? If so post them and I'll see if I can ID a Group by the tail/fuselage markings. Or you can PM me and send me scans and I'll let you know.
    Johnny

7. Oilseed

Oilseed Member

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the reply. Since posting this request, I have uncovered quite a bit of information on my father-in-law's service. The 25th Station Complement Squadron was a support unit to the 446th Bomb Group (part of the 96th Air Division, 2nd Bombardment Division, 8th AAF). They flew B-24's. This Bomb group was based at Station 125, Bungay (Flixton) England. Call sign BEACHBELL. They were also known as the BUNGAY BUCKEROO'S.
    For more info on the 446th BG (for those interested) go to this website: www.446thbg.com

Since Jack (my FIL) was part of a support unit, he was not assigned to any 'specific' bomber crew and therefore did not have his picture made with any specific aircraft. I have not been able to locate 'all' the photo's possibley made during his 18 months at this post, so I'm not sure if any of those contain aircraft.

again, thanks for the reply.

Bill