Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII presidential brooch or pin

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Wiseguymmiv, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Wiseguymmiv

Wiseguymmiv recruit

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and hoping to find an answer to a legend that has been in my family for decades. I'm told by older relatives that my grandmother (now deceased) received a special jeweled pin or brooch from FDR or Pres. Truman for her family's commitment to WWII- At one point, 5 of her 8 sons were serving in the military during WWII. If the story is true, the pin/brooch has been missing for decades, as I have never seen it, but older relatives say they did. Have y'all any information on such? Could this be true? If so, I'm guessing there was some kind of government program to award such pins/brooches to mothers in this situation. I suppose the pin could have been filled with rhinestones, or been some other kind of costume jewelry, as producing many of these would have been costly. I'm seeking any information I can find on the pin/brooch. A basic internet search and search of this forum produced nothing helpful.

Also, if I may, the new movie Valkyrie is worth seeing, though it's not the "movie of the year". I've read that many of the locations and props in the movie are authentic from the period, and/or were used by the Nazis.

Thanks!

WiseGuy