Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Vet

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Col. Hessler, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Well gentlemen, you probably have heard this one a million times. I'm on a quest to find out more information about my grandfather who served in the US Army during WWII. First, I went to the national archives site and I was able to obtain some basic information including his serial number and date of enlistment. They have an online database where you can search the WWII enlistment records. What should I do next?

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

After you find out the unit he was assigned to you can look on the internet and see if there are reunions, historys, associations,ect. If the unit he was in was from a certain state like Texas, then you can look at State libraries and State museums for more information on the unit. The Camp Mabry Museum in Austin has a library with tons of information on unit historys. Unfortunitly it is run by volunteers and not as orginized as good as you would like it to be.

If he was wounded or killed he has paperwork someplace and when he was discharged he has paperwork someplace. If he got awards and ribbons then that too has paperwork but not sure how to track it down. Could try the VFW or Forgien Legion or the VA.

I hope you have good luck. Information is out there but they don't make it easy to find !

3. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

That is what I am trying to fingure out at the moment TA. I think I've made some progress. According to this site, he was in III Corps since his serial number, 33838098, was between 33000000 and 33999999. Now only if I could find out what divisions were in III Corps. :confused: Thanks for the help.

4. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

Probably doesnt help as I think the numbering only worked on enlistment in the USA.

Once allocated to a Unit he could have moved anywhere.

Also the Church of Latter Day Saints have a marvellous database on Genealogy, From memory they have some WW2 Nominal rolls.

But, as TA152 says, you need a lot of info about his unit to ensure you have the right man.

5. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

I think you are right Ali. It wasn't the "corps" I was thinking of. Tomorrow, I am going to try and call the VA. If that fails, I am going to write to the National Archives. They have a form that you fill out and you mail it to them. Anyone ever write to them before?