Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII weekend Reading,pa -2016

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by hattie, Jun 11, 2016.

1. hattie

hattie New Member

Hi,
    I'm a part of the 53rd Quartermaster unit who had an encampment at MAAM's WWII Weekend in Reading,Pa 2016 - in the PTO. Though I could not attend this year, Sgt Tulley, Cpl. Feeney, and Pvt. Cooper were there. The 53rd had the quonset hut/ tiki hut/ radio tent and did the special effects pyro for the Japanese invasion on Saturday. Does anyone have any photos? Videos of our encampment? Or any of the Japanese invasion special effects? The video didn't go well. Thanks!!!
    Pvt. Holiday

Attached Files:

Otto likes this.
  2. Takao

Takao Ace

I only got 3 moderate distance shots between vehicles - not sure if the vehicles are yours or not.

Attached Files:

Otto and Slipdigit like this.
  3. ammorun

ammorun New Member

Wow! When I came across this it made me smile again so big. They really should highlight your unit and let you do more for the PTO. I saw your profile in the MAAM Warbird magazine but it doesn't do your portrayal justice. This year's weekend event overall was a dud with a few rare exceptions, one being your unit. That film company spent all day filming you. Is that for a commercial?

I hope you find videos and pictures. It's truly one of the new exciting highlights of this military event. Do you attend any others? Your characters and history are dead on target and everyone knows and loves the ever-scavenging Sgt. Tully. I remembered you folks from last year and the awesome Japanese Zero strafing show you put on. Excellent display again this year maybe even better than last- the best in the PTO by any means. Your unit commander Tulley and yourself and whoever else is responsible for the creation of that Quonset hut salvage and supply quartermaster unit and it's explosions should be commended. I can't even imagine the time and detail you have in all that. Heck, you're the only ones with anything that even looks like the Pacific with those 30 ft palm trees overhead and all the jungle sounds coming from rock speakers! I salute you dude!

Otto likes this.
  4. hattie

hattie New Member

Takao,

Thank you so much for the photos! I can even see Sgt. Tulley, Cpl. Feeney and Pvt Cooper in them. The vehicles belong to another group but they had arranged to park there on purpose so Tulley could work under them. They all will be so pleased.

Last year MAAM only put up one photo of the 53rd on their site and it was of Tulley on the ground just after the straffing and Feeney leaning over him. That was it. We were rather shocked. And there was no video at all on Youtube. This year we found one of the 53rd in the background of the Japanese invasion. We were thrilled.

Ammorun,

Such a glowing review of the 53rd Salvage and Supply, made my hands shake and left me filling up with joy! Seeing thru the eyes of someone else and how you felt about the set up and show is wonderful. Tulley never hears anything. When Sgt. Tulley reads this, he will realize it was all worth it. He felt rather ignored and abused by the bigwig organizers who did not use Tulley the way they should have. They would not listen to his suggestions on how the invasion should have been choreographed. They gave him full authority last year and he taught a Japanese soldier how to climb a tower, take the American flag down and put up the Japanese flag. The crowd went wild clapping. Sgt. told me the Japanese soldiers charged him the next morning with hugs and thank yous.

He told me yesterday that Saturday, he had no plans to fire off pyro because of organizers disrespect towards him. And then they came bursting over begging him to do the strafing show , but he was given only 8 minutes to prepare for it!

Happy you mentioned the palm trees. Last summer I was so against him buying the trees; "Save the money for something else!", I barked, but Tulley knows his business so I quit trying to talk him out of it. Glad I did.

The film crew, best I not say who it was. I'll say it was...an audition for a...director with a lot of awesome movies and mini series's under his belt.

Thanks again both of you! Can not WAIT to share this post with Tulley, Feeney and Cooper! Kudos to you!