Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Yorktown CV-5, VS-5, Munda New Georgia, 1941 GHQ Manuevers

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by NAREEVES, Oct 9, 2009.

1. NAREEVES

NAREEVES Member

My dad served in the Navy (USNR) as a pilot in VS-5 on the Yorktown CV-5. He took part in the 1941 GHQ Manuevers in Sept 1941 down in Lake Charles. Later, when he could no longer fly due to a head injury in a crash, he served as XO and CO of CASU's 4, 8, 9, 14 and 55. CASU 14 was the most interesting - 1943 at Munda Air Base on New Georgia Island in the Solomons. He arrived on the same day the air base was secured after a long battle with the Japanese. This battle is much akin to the battle for Guadalcanal - very nasty for our troops.

All but one pilot from VS-5 has left us, but I would like to hear from anyone who served on the Yorktown (Old Yorky). I am also particularly interested in hearing from anyone who served in the CASU's mentioned above, be it Navy, Marine, Army, coastwatchers, seabees, etc!!! Also, anyone familiar with the Navy's participation in the War Games of 1941.
    Any help will be most appreciated. Retracing my dad's footsteps during his war years has taken two years so far and is still ongoing.

2. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Ah, but remember, VS-5 was detached for the war games while Yorktown was cavorting about the Atlantic convoy routes playing Neutrality Patrol. Yorktown came into Norfolk NOB on 6 September 41 and was in port long enough for my parents to get married, have a 2 day honeymoon in Wmsbg, and then he was back out to sea on the 15th. My father went aboard in June 41 with VF-42, operated through Coral Sea, was TAD to VF-3 for Midway, and as the senior VF-42 pilot took up the XO's job when Don Lovelace was killed.

There are still several VF-42 crewmen around, they just held a reunion in Branson, but I don't believe there are more than one or two pilots - haven't heard from ones I knew were still around for about 10 years. My father passed away in 2005. You might want to check with the Yorktown CV-5 Club, Inc., sometimes there's overlap between ships company and the air group; you might find some of the maintenance/ordnance/admin enlisted folks from VS-5 in that group. You might also want to make contact with the Battle of Midway Roundtable; even though "the real VS-5" was not at the battle, there are a few Yorktown veterans in that organization. Send me a PM for some contact info.

Rich Leonard