Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

your top 3 favourite tanks &/or armoured cars!

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by tommy tater, Aug 28, 2008.

1. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

choose your top 3 tanks & armoured cars! my top 3 tanks are the jagdpanther the matilda mkII & the T-100.
    my fav armoured cars are the sdkfz 234/2 puma, the m8 greyhound & the BA 64
    jagdpanther isnt really a tank but a self propelled gun should count as a type of tank its just a brilliant vehicle it had strong armour & a powerful gun.
    the matilda because it practicaly saved the british in the deserts of africa.
    the T-100 because its abit like the m3 grant with its twin turret & such only its got better armour & was created earlier.
    the puma because they could be built quickly, it had a low profile & the ability to drive faster backwards then it could forward.
    the m8 greyhound In the Pacific, against the weakly armored and armed Japanese tanks, the M8 was a successful anti-tank platform.
    In the Pacific, against the weakly armored and armed Japanese tanks, the M8 was a successful anti-tank platform.
    The BA-64B was nicknamed 'Bobik' by its crews. The total recorded number of BA-64s produced differs even in Russian sources. The most frequently-stated figures are 9,110 (3,901 BA-64 and 5,209 BA-64B) vehicles which were built in the GAZ.

von Poop likes this.
  2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm glad someone added armoured cars to the mix. I've always liked the puma, very few were made, and it looks cool, but it doesn't seem to know if it want's to be a quick recon vehicle or a tank.

3. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

What the heck are a cd313 sdkfz 234/2 puma, the cd207 m8 & the CD419 BA 64 ? Model references???

Anyway, I'd go for the

KV-1
    [​IMG]

IS-2
    [​IMG]

Pzkfw IV
    [​IMG]

In Armoured Cars,

the Humber Mk.IV
    [​IMG]

Panhard 178
    [​IMG]

la Autoblinda AB40 !
    [​IMG]

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

What is with the "cd and number "code before the armored cars? And why not just stick with the armored car question? The "favorite" tank question has been beaten to death before. Just to let you know too. The Jagdpanther was not a tank ;). Tell us why they are your favorites.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

3!!!?? that's hard!
    So putting aside the pleasing Puma, Carriers (mmmm) and assorted other tanks & vehicles - I'll stick with armoured cars in WW2 British use for today's top 3... (& well done for saying 'favourite' rather than 'best' mate :D).

I reserve the right to change this selection as the whim takes me... The Pz.38t, Saladin, Ferret, Canadian Fox, Rolls royce, Conqueror, & Vickers Medium (etc. etc. etc.) are whispering in my ear already.

Dingo.
    Mostly because it's a fine vehicle that did exactly what was required of it, would fit in my garage, and can go the same speed backwards as forwards (If the driver's brave enough... saw it once and it looked terrifying.)
    This one broke down with a 'Clunk' seconds after I took the shot.
    [​IMG]

Staghound.
    The Yanks didn't want it, so we took it and found it most capable.
    I just like it's 'stance', and the fact it's about the closest WW2 got to fielding the wheeled tank principle:
    This one belongs to the Cadman brothers, it purrs, and appears a most convincing restoration.
    [​IMG]

Humber scout.
    Because I find it stylish, & recently saw this one being caned to a remarkable degree for a sixty year old vehicle. The twin remote Brens are also a nice Heath robinson thing.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Adam.

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thanks Von Poop. So much better when you give some ideas why rather then just listing something :).

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I would have to go with the Sdkfz 231/4 PUMA

[​IMG]

Then the Autoblinda AB41 with upgraded armor and gun. This was favored by the Germans and used extensively in North Africa and Italy

[​IMG]

Finally the Sdkfz 222. A good design that went unchanged throughout the war and did pretty much what it was designed for.

[​IMG]

8. Joe

Joe Ace

Sdkfz 222, very stylish.
    [​IMG]

BA-10, because it looks rather comical.
    [​IMG]

And I also like the M8, that looks stylish too.
    [​IMG]

9. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

i like the german tank.mk5.model 2.i prefer the bren gun carrier ,rather than any car.yours,4th wilts.

10. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

that ba-10 looks more like half-track than a armoured car!

11. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Humm...

For the armored cars, I'd have to go for the Greyhound because it just looks awsome! I'd love to drive one of those! The M8 and the Panhard 178.

All were solid designs who did what was asked of them.

3 tanks...

The first is the Tiger I simply cause I find it pretty! Don't know why but it looks like a real tank and it is rather massive! :D none of those fancy slope armor and such :p

[​IMG]

My next spot goes to the KV-2 not really a tank but one held a bridge against a company of panzers or so. The crew fled after the miunitions ran out:D

[​IMG]

And last but not least,... There are so many it's tough to choose... I'll come back some day and finish it. Oh I'll blatantly copy Von Poop and say I reserve the right to alter or remove any of my sugestions in upcoming discussions as I see fit!

Cheers...

12. mikegb

mikegb Member

Provisionally the best armoured cars were

The AEC heavy armoured car armour of a medium tank and a 75 mm gun serious back up for lighter scouts whilst having four wheel drive and good cross country performance.

The German Puma with a long 50mm gun an excellent balance of all elements

The Dingo just a superb look and scoot vechile.

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Tanks: King Tiger, Panther, T-34

Armoured cars: M3, German Puma, M16

14. XcombatX

XcombatX Member

My top 3 favorite tanks:

1. T-34/85 (USSR) - This has always been my #1, because it was relatively cheap to build, had superb armour, a 85mm canon and I think that tank just looked awesome. The German army had to create even better tanks to engage in a fair battle with this tank.

Tiger II (Germany) - This tank was one of the best heavy tanks during WWII. It simply dominated every Allied and Soviet vehicle. It was a good thing the Germans only managed to build about 500, because they might have had a chance to turn the tide of the war with this tank.

3. Sherman Firefly (Allies) - Almost the same as the normal M4 Sherman, but with better armament. The Firefly had a 76.2 mm canon and was even able to knock out heavy tanks, like the German Tiger I and Panther.

I don't really have a favorite armoured car, but I think that armoured support vehicles like the Allied and German half-tracks were pretty cool.

15. Richard

Richard Expert

Tanks
    Panther G
    T-34/85
    IS2

Armored cars
    Humber Mk.IV
    Sdkfz 231/4 PUMA
    M8

16. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

1. Jagdtiger- The heaviest beast ever to be called a tank. It was equiped with a weak JagdPanther engine which caused it to be slower but with a History of never having its armour breached and a Monster of a gun, this would be a machine that couldnt be stopped; had they not suffered engine problems later inservice.[​IMG]

17. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

The russian T34 had good armor because of slanted armor.:)

18. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

I really liked your question I noticed other people didn"t.:D

19. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

I do not think you should judge a tank by looks, that"s just my opinion.:)

20. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

Panther
    Panzer IV
    T-34/85