Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ypres' Black Watch Memorial

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Apr 3, 2013.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"A statue of a Black Watch soldier is set to be unveiled in Belgium in tribute to the thousands who died during the First World War.

• Kilted Highlander statue to be sculpted by Alan Herriot in Edinburgh.
    • 8,000 Black Watch soldiers killed in First World War.
    [SIZE=1.091em]The bronze memorial will be revealed at Black Watch corner near Ypres next spring.[/SIZE]
    It will be the only memorial in existence which is solely dedicated to the 8,000 Black Watch officers and soldiers killed and the 20,000 wounded during the war.
    Colonel Alex Murdoch, chairman of The Black Watch Association, said: “The site chosen for the statue has been known as Black Watch Corner since the remnants of our 1st Battalion took park in a successful ground-holding action."
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/black-watch-statue-to-be-unveiled-in-belgium-1-2875220

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A good find, Gordon. Of course it would be about Scotland. It is doubly important since next year marks 100 years since the beginning of WW1. I wish the anniversary would be marked in the US, but I fear it won't.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

We are having a fair few rememberances over here Lou...Which should be expected...as I think if memory serves...there are only 2 villages, towns or cities in the whole UK that does not have its own memorial to ww1 casualties.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

The Thankful Villages, Tam-

"The mass slaughter of 1914-18 robbed the UK of a million lives, leaving no part of the country untouched. But there was a tiny handful of settlements where all those who served returned home.
    With its rows of ramshackle yellow stone cottages, set amid undulating Cotswold hills, the village of Upper Slaughter belies the violence of its name.
    In hazy autumn sunlight, this corner of Gloucestershire might well have been rendered in watercolour. All the components of tourist-brochure Britain are here - the red phone box, the winding lanes, the wisteria draped around the windows.
    But one normally ubiquitous feature is missing. Unlike the overwhelming majority of British settlements, Upper Slaughter has no war memorial.
    Instead, tucked away in the village hall are two modest wooden plaques. They celebrate the men, and one woman, from the village who served in both world wars and, in every case, returned home.
    For it is not only its postcard charm that offers pacific contrast to the name Upper Slaughter. It is that rarest of British locations, a "thankful village" - the term coined in the 1930s by the writer Arthur Mee to describe the handful of communities which suffered no military fatalities in World War I."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15671943

5. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Well there you go...Cheers Gordon....and not that far from me either...