Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Yuck!

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Richard, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Richard

Richard Expert

They have to be kidding?

For love of real flavor someone spare me of this tasteless crap.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I can just about remember when Golden Wonder did 'Hedgehog' flavour crisps. They were bloody awful. :eek:

3. Richard

Richard Expert

Quick pass the bucket, too late. [​IMG]

4. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Old news. In Portugal we have an Ice cream shop with over 700 flavours. Including, Sardines, codfish with cream, "feijoada" meat with beans and rice, "Rancho" meat with another type of beans and noodles (and the meat is prepared differently than in the feijoada), you get the picture...

Cheers...

5. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Eh? Where?

6. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

I prefer roast Koala myself!

John.

7. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Near Póvoa do Varzim.

Cheers...

8. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

OK, Richard, explain Meatballs to me then....

As for Hedghog crisps Historian, my dad used to make them before they got famous....every November 5th, we would have a bonfire in garden and.......

9. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Miguel, it figures :D

10. bigfun

bigfun Ace

chili and chocolate! what the...............?

11. Richard

Richard Expert

Meatballs!

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is that stuff they pass of as a kebab. :eek:

That lump of a mutated animal dripping with grease on a spike. :confused:

[​IMG]

What is that lump on the left?

urqh likes this.
  12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

During the pre War for Independence here in the USA, ice cream was a real "treat" and only the wealthy could have it made for them. The flavors weren't something most would recognize today, and if I am not mistaken Dolly Madison's favortie flaver was "oyster". As an aside, in response to that post by "Richard" with the pic., it
    reminded my of my running across this on the net looking for the ingredients in the canned fish called SPROT (I think that was the spelling) that the USSR used during WW2, with some being canned in the US using the Soviet recipe.

Well, at first I was certain it was a joke made up for effect by the guys who posted it, but I have since found that this was made of scrap heads which were supposed to be discarded, but ended up "canned" by mistake:

See:

English Russia » Atlantic Herring Is Going Wild

13. urqh

And have you noticed, you can pass a shop with it in window on Monday...Come Friday its still there..same thing....just few slices missing...

Bet the owner get the legs..

14. Richard

Richard Expert

Yep your right there urgh. :rofl:

15. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

We, who didn't survive the Great Depression, are very spoiled. I grew up in ranch country, so our primary meat was our beef, venison mom hunted, and chickens from the yard.

Fire Chief Paul Ray was my surrogate father. He took me hunting a couple of times, but he did much better without me. Anyway, he was insulted once when he showed me the meat in his freezer and I turned up my nose at it. The meat included possum, rabbit, and squirrel. Although he could afford better, if you grow up eating whatever you can, your palate doesn't say yuck to rodent.

16. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I was always taught that it was wrong to turn your nose up at food because you didn't like the sound of what it was made from, try it, you may even like it. It sickens me when people have a childish attitude to food, particularly meat. After my hunting trip last year I brought back a load of venison which I had shot, prepared, butchered and so on. My housemates girlfriend saw it and said 'yuck.' Now I was rather offended at that, the deer was some of the best meat I have ever seen, it would cost a bomb in the shops and tasted delicious, she just couldn't deal with the idea that the dinners she so enjoys taking from the packet were at some point living beings and frankly that is a stupid attitude to take.

As for squirrel, the one outside my window tasted lovely!

17. urqh

OK Steffan, I challenge you to eat a platefull of Brawn. Once a week as a kid, brawn...brawn hash, brawn on its own fried, brawn slices...

Then when I found out..I knew why I hated it...I'll eat your Sheffield chips if you eat my brawn...well not my brawn..

Venison is a little bit different from squirrel though mate....You come back to the roadside with the baliff and blooded holding a squrrel and I'm holding a venison on my balliffs back I may just laugh...

18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

True true. My Dad is a brawn fan, I'll eat it but not if there is anything else on offer. Hell, I'll eat almost anything.

As for the Squirrel, well I couldn't really 'blood' myself on the road outside my house, hell, I pretty much carried it in by the tail, prepared it and left it in a bottle of red wine until it was ready to be cooked.

19. Richie B

Richie B Member

I don't know what goes into the pre-made ones but in some kebab shops they make their own - I've witnessed this being done and the meat they used was leg and shoulder of lamb. End result was delicious.

For me - crocodile sandwich and make it snappy ... I'll get my coat

Richie

20. urqh

Would you like fries with that sir....

Sacrilige...or some such spelling..Leg of lamb should be on a plate with gravy and mint sauce....

Then again I like breast of lamb, the cheap cut. Nothing like getting fingers messy.

I keep sheep...so I'm off in case mrs. reads this.

Miguel B. likes this.