Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Zeppelin Airship Attacks On London: Mapped ..

Discussion in 'Military History' started by sniper1946, Sep 10, 2010.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

2. Mehar

Mehar Ace

I admit, I too forgot about Germany's air raid over Britain during World War I, I was only reminded of it a few months ago!

What a time it must have been, I guess it's all just down to living memory and how the generations that witnessed or participated in the bombing are few in number.

3. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thanks for posting Ray. I know very little about this, but Zeppelins have always interested me. I got to visit Friedrichshaven when I went to Germany and saw the Zeppelin museum.

If I remember correctly, the WWI German Zeppelin's were nicknamed "babykillers" by the British.

They were pretty terrifying for a while it seemed, until the British were able to get planes that could fly as high as them equipped with incendiary bullets. Even painting the undersides of the Zeppelin's black didn't help them after that.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

appreciated...thanks darren, gordon.. thanks for links too, gordon..

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Since a short while you can " fly" again with an Zeppelin around the Lake Constance.

Zeppelin NT - Homepage

regards

Ulrich

7. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

It's nice they finally got the NT going. They have been talking about it since the 1990's.

As much as my home town of Albuquerque is into ballooning, I wish we had blimps and such like the Zeppelin NT here.

But I guess I'll just have to look at the model of the Graf Zeppelin in our balloon museum for now. :)

8. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Zepplins returning for commercial use? Interesting, I wonder if they will make a comeback in the military scene as well?

Edit: I did some research into, Luftschiffbau Zeppelin, the company founded by von Zeppelin in the late 19th/early 20th century to manage Zeppelins, patents, etc. During World War 2 they made rockets and such, in the 90s or early 00s they started doing Zeppelin tours through their subsidiary. What were they doing before that after World War 2?

9. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Mehar, they had several parts of business after the war. Like ZF Friedrichshafen AG makes gearboxes, Zeppelin/Caterpillar construction equipment, Zeppelin Mobile Systeme GmbH is making alloy shelters for military hospitals etc.

Regards

Ulrich

Mehar likes this.
  10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Dark Autumn

In the summer of 1916, the new L-30 class ships were delivered to the German Navy, and Peter Strasser, the Leader of Airships, planned an all out offensive against England. He was determined to show once and for all that the zeppelin fleet could pour enough explosives onto targets in England to make a material difference in the war. There was no doubt as to their morale benefits, the German people loved the zeppelin fleet, and each raid was greeted with the greatest fanfare throughout Germany. England however, was seething with anger, so much so that when one airship crashed at sea, a British trawler nearby violated the "code of the ocean" by not rescuing the airship's crew, standing by to watch them drown instead!

Airshipmen dwelt heavily upon the subject of being in a burning zeppelin. To stay on board meant possible survival, but an overwhelming probability of burning alive. The alternative was to jump, a leap to certain, but quick, death! One of Peterson's men commented brusquely that there would be no time for deliberation, that it would all happen much too quickly. Either way, it was a personal decision which every man dwelt upon to the point of obsession. When L-31 went down in flames at Potter's Bar, her Captain, Heinrich Mathy, chose to jump. He was the only zeppelin Captain known to have done so, and also the only person to have momentarily survived the landing. When local farmers found Mathy still wrapped in his leather flight jacket, he was face up in the field near the burning wreckage of L-31. He still lived, but only for a few minutes, and one wonders whether he had decided on jumping long before, or whether he leapt to his death in a last moment of fear and decision.

"Our nerves are ruined by mistreatment. If anyone should say that he was not haunted by visions of burning airships, when he would be a braggart. But nobody makes this assertion; everyone has the courage to confess his dreams and thoughts."
    Pitt Klein, German Navy Airship L-31