Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Zulu War

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Richard, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Richard

Richard Expert

I have been reading about the Zulu War 1879 and the only thing that is clear to me a poor excuse to invade clear cut case of a land grab and nothing more.

From me I apologise to the Zulu Nation for a war that should have never took place.

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Hey, oil wasn't so important at that time mate, we needed other things. Whats a leading empire nation to do when it wants something....

Ok there were no WMD, but the old don't treat your people so badly....was always a good excuse at the time...Seems it still is when you can't find any wmd.

Anyway, it cost us big time.
    And not just because the central column got zapped, the other two columns then got left out to fend for themselves for a long time, until a proper relief force could be gathered from the UK.

All toghether now...Men of Harlech, stand you steady, this....whoops forgot....wasn't even written at that time...Dont know what they sung at Rourks Drift then...

Heres an interesting fact, old Bromhead may never have needed to bring up the argument of seniority with Chard at Rourke if the company commander had not ridden off on his own initiative to seek help...Errr...its ok men, I'm off to get help, gallop gallop gallop, methinks, he wasn't later on the VC roll for that one.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Richard, there are many books out about Zulu wars, as with everything, time distorts. Many are pretty biased to either side. I went on a trip to the battlefields 3 years ago. Found out through local knowledge that much has still not been written. But the best account I have come across is Brave Mens Blood, guy called Knight I think wrote it...It should be read in conjunction with the official Narrative of the field force operations written after the battle with some good technical appreciations included. The rest are hype in my view.

As for the old commander at Rourkes riding out, I was a bit tongue in cheek there, he left at 2pm most writings credit that he didnt know of the impending doom...as he rode to get a company that had not yet arrived at the time it should of hrom Helmaker (spelling) But the locals will tell you to this day that although most books dont say that he would have known.... the fighting at Islandwhana was happening at that time and numerous riders from the camp had arrived at Rourke for various messenger and logistic reasons and told of the early skirmishes and sighting by LT.Raw I think, of the Impi's or at least big numbers heading to the camp or to cut off Chelmsford. This bit about Rourkes commander is always glossed over in most writings.

As for Brave Mens Blood, the first few chapters will amaze you on the shannanagans we all knew of to make this war, but will astonish some as to the closenes to the way in which Iraq 2003 was motivated too...This time though by us Brits...Seriously, when I re-read it I can see lots of similarities, some blazingly obvious.

4. Richard

Richard Expert

I know read it years ago great book [​IMG]