Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Battle Zone Normandy' guidebooks

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Martin Bull, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Just thought I'd insert a mention for this series of guidebooks.

A fair number of 'Battlefield Tour' guides have come onto the market in recent years ( such as the Leo Cooper/Pen & Sword 'Battleground Europe' paperbacks, etc ).

'Battle Zone Normandy' was published in 2004 by Alan Sutton and totals 14 hardback volumes by various authors, all the way from 'Orne Bridgehead' to 'The Falaise Pocket'. I have 'Road To Falaise' and 'The Falaise Pocket' and they are nice introductory guides ; a brief historical section, followed by suggested driving/walking tours with a reasonable selection of photos and a good bibliography.

Not as comprehensive as 'After The Battle' but nice to have in the car ( or even to read by the fireside if you can't get there...).

2004 ? :confused: Well, that's the other reason for this post ; 'book warehouses' in the UK are currently selling them half-price and they can be found on e-bay, too......:cool:

2. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Would agree Martin - excellent. I have used several of them in Normandy and have found them much better than any other published guidebook. The maps (all in colour) are really one of their strong points. Full details of the whole series here:

Battlezone Normandy Guidebooks

Martin Bull likes this.
  3. Martin Bull

That's quite a recommendation - if they're good enough for the 'professionals', they're certainly good enough for me.....;)

The other good thing about these books is that, being hardback, you can easily wipe the mud from the covers.....:eek:

4. Martin Bull

Today in London I added 'Battle For Caen' to my little 'Battlezone Normandy' library. I notice that at the current low price, they seem to be selling out fast.....

5. Martin Bull

..and today I couldn't resist yet another one...the 'Operation Epsom' title, now down to £4.99 in London. Irresistable ! :)

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Nice find, Martin. You're obviously getting as bad as me..........

7. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

They are truly excellent books. I was using them again this summer around St Lo. Currently the only decent guidebooks about Normandy IMHO.

8. Martin Bull

I'm looking forward to trying mine out next month...:cool:

9. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

..the entire set was recently on offer through the Military & Aviation Book club at 49 GBP for the fourteen volumes...

took 'Orne Bridgehead' & 'Falaise Pocket' on my recent trip ...but still managed to get lost going up Mont Ormel.. ...